Game 6 Rained Out Without A Whole Lot Of Rain

October 26th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Okay, I’m sure I’ll get an argument about this, but why would MLB and the Cardinals/Rangers cancel a World Series game because rain was in the forecast? I just went on Weather.com and here’s what their forecast is for St. Louis as of right now (it’s 6:30 pm here in California):

Through 2am: Light rain. The rain will come to an end by 8pm. Cloudy with temperatures steady or falling to near 49F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.

“The rain will come to an end by 8pm.” That’s what it says.

So my question is, would it have been the worst thing in the world to play under those conditions? Or play and have a delay? Isn’t weather an aspect of the quest for a championship? Don’t teams have to battle the elements as well as each other?

I get that rain is no fun for the fans who paid good money to attend the game. I get that it can cause injuries to the players if the field is slick. I get that it’s a drag on the starting pitchers if they can’t come back out after a delay and the pen is taxed. But isn’t all that part of earning a ring – that whichever team can overcome adversity deserves to win?

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “Game 6 Rained Out Without A Whole Lot Of Rain”

A-men. Well put, in all aspects.
    As a personal aside, having been a softball ump, it’s been the source of never-ending amazement that sprinkles and simple threats (not even with lightning involved) can cancel ballgames. Sure, wet muddy infields are no fun on any level (in the OF, it’s a LOT different; splish splash, you can take a bath)…but come on, MLB — you can be big boys and play. Look at that relative hurricane the Yanks and Tigers had to play thru. No, nobody in the east wants to wait thru rain delays ’til 2 in the morning…but we’ve done it. How many of us are watching this year, anyway? And your groundskeepers can repair any damage in time for Game 7; this ain’t football or soccer.

They should be big boys, Dave. My thoughts exactly. I never use the expression “man up,” but in this case maybe it applies.

3. Sue says:

I guess they wanted to avoid a situation similar to a few years ago during the Phillies/Rays series, when Game 5 was suspended and resumed almost 48 hrs later. At the time, everyone was criticizing the umps, MLB, etc. for even starting the game, and then trying to play through miserable conditions. Of course, the very act of preemptively postponing the game virtually guarantees that it could have been played after all. ;-)

I’m sure they did want to avoid that situation, Sue, and I understand why they would. Maybe MLB’s next directive will be to have retractable roofs installed at every stadium!

5. Kelly says:

Jane,
    I applaud you for following baseball even though the season has been over for weeks. You are a way better person than I am!
    Signed,
    Left drifiting until P&C Report in approx. 110 days.

Kelly, I’m not such a good person. LOL. I’m only following it with half my attention. Right now the game is on the TV while I’m making dinner. My back was turned, so I just missed a big error by the Cardinals, apparently, because I was cutting up a really luscious tomato!