WS Game 4, Etc.

October 23rd, 2011 by Jane Heller

I didn’t watch any of tonight’s game (I was at a friend’s birthday dinner), but the Cardinals’ offense certainly was shut down, wasn’t it? What a difference a pitcher makes.

Joe Torre announced that he, on behalf of MLB, will be “looking into” the drinking in the Red Sox clubhouse. Will he investigate the chicken eating too?

In other Red Sox news, Theo Epstein bid farewell to the fans in a full-page Boston Globe ad.

If Cashman doesn’t get re-signed by Hal and Co., will he take an ad in the NYT thanking us? I would certainly hope so.

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “WS Game 4, Etc.”

1. John says:

I understand Popeye Chicken in Boston is working on an ad campaign. Slogan says “Eat Like The Pros, Eat Popeye Chicken, Delivered Anywhere Anytime”!

Hahaha, John. Honestly, I don’t get the big fuss about the chicken except that it contributes to the overall sense that these pitchers weren’t paying much attention to what their teammates were doing on the field. The day MLB bans eating in the clubhouse is the day the Players Association says, “Then we’re going on strike.”

3. John says:

The big question posed today in New England is, were the Sox pitchers breast, thigh or leg men?

LOL. I guess the chicken jokes will never end!

5. jane says:

Really, is it any of Joe Torre’s or MLB’s business if they were drinking in the clubhouse? In poor taste, unsportsmanlike and lacking the respect that should be shown your teammates–a resounding YES. But it sounds like a franchise problem, not MLB’s. On the other hand, it is providing a certain amount of entertainment value. :)

I agree, Jane. It does seem like it should be up to each franchise to decide if they want to allow drinking in the clubhouse. But MLB often exercises its “best interests of baseball” clause to police various aspects of the game. In the end, I think Torre’s “investigation” will go nowhere. He’ll talk to a few people and then leave it alone.