If I’m The Cardinals, Ouch!

October 20th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I had all but turned off the TV in the ninth when the Rangers staged their surprising comeback. Well, it’s not surprising that they can hit. It’s surprising that the Cardinals’ pen allowed the runs and that Albert Pujols couldn’t make that play on the relay. I said out loud, “Tex would have had that.” Which only made me miss the Yankees more. Sigh.

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “If I’m The Cardinals, Ouch!”

1. Jeff says:

Motte made the right pitch. Kinsler just found the one spot in the ballpark no one could get to. What a way to lose. Just unraveled. It hurt, believe me, and it made my 5 hour drive back to Chicago a very loooooooong one, but by the time I got home I had convinced myself that it was water under the proverbial bridge right now — that we got a lot of game left to walk away with the title. Oh the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat!

I did think of you last night, Jeff, especially knowing you were THERE. At least you got to see the win the night before. But a split isn’t bad. Not in a long series and not when your pitching has been outstanding.

3. YankeeCase says:

Anybody else think La Russa ‘outsmarted’ himself there with Hamilton? Why not walk him to get the force at home? If Rhodes does strike Hamilton out, you’ve still got the sac fly possibility with Young up. Was he then going to load the bases for Beltre and hope for a double play? Those are all serious hitters with major pop. They’re all dangerous. Why play cute? Just get the outs…

Michael Young is a great hitter, but I’d rather see Motte vs. Young than Rhodes vs. Hamilton. 98mph fastballs are harder to hit than sweeping breaking balls that may get away…

Come on, Redbirds… Don’t let Texas do this to you!

(ps, have you seen the Chamberlain/Lynn resemblance yet, Jane?)

I wish I could comment on your comment, YankeeCase, but I was watching with one eye on the game and the other on making dinner!

5. Jeff says:

To answer your question, YankeeCase, I think TLR was challenging Hamilton because he wasn’t 100%. Every swing looked awkward. And the scenario you pose with Beltre might have been a decent matchup since he’d been struggling all night. It’s all hindsight now. TLR is one of the best managers to ever live, so I’ve learned not to doubt him. The drawback is that sometimes it doesn’t work and then he’s accused of “overmanaging”. The dude does his homework. I trust him. Gotta take the good with the bad.

6. YankeeCase says:

I definitely think La Russa is one of those ‘all-time’ managers, and commands respect from his players and his peers. And I definitely understand the notion of pitching to Hamilton with Rhodes. But I still think loading the bases was the way to go. Of course if doing so still led to losing the game, he’d be criticized for that move instead. Same thing happens to Girardi here in NY, and all managers the world over. I would still rest easy knowing they beat us after making the ‘better’ baseball move. But then this is the fun of baseball. You can’t debate moves like this in football or hockey! “If they only ran a screen play…!!”