I Am Not A Fan Of Scott Proctor

September 25th, 2011 by Jane Heller

(courtesy: bronxbaseballdaily.com)

I know, I know. The Yankees offense could have made Proctor’s appearance unnecessary, but they must have sent their bats ahead to Tampa because the boys sure weren’t hitting in the second game of the doubleheader. More on that in a sec.

What a day/night of baseball. I’m exhausted and I feel like the biggest slug for sitting in front of the TV for hours, but I couldn’t tear myself away from either game.

In the opener, I was mesmerized by AJ. I kept waiting for him to screw up, but he pitched brilliantly and, as a result, notched his first “W” as a Yankee against the Sox. And Posada. Seriously. Raise your hand if you expected him to be the hitting star? Just a weird but wonderful win. I actually felt sorry for Carl Crawford after his botched play in left. He always seemed like a decent guy when he was with the Rays and yet he just hasn’t had a very good time as a Red Sock. And Wakefield looked like he was about to cry after he was pulled.

Lackey, on the other hand, looked like his usual grumpy self in Game 2. After Francona took him out, it was easy to read his lips. He needs a prescription for an antidepressant or something. Nova was coasting along for awhile, but got into trouble and should have been pulled earlier than he was – one of my many quibbles with Girardi. Other complaints include:

1. WHY DIDN’T HE USE JETER OR A-ROD TO PINCH HIT INSTEAD OF STICKING WITH ROMINE, GOLSON, PENA, ETC. IN KEY SITUATIONS?
  2. DID HE NOT WANT TO WIN THE GAME?
  3. USING ONE OF HIS ALL-STARS TO PINCH HIT IN EXTRAS WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN ALL THAT TAXING FOR THEM.
  4. DID HE NOT GET THAT BEATING THE RED SOX WOULD HAVE FURTHER DIMMED THEIR CHANCES TO MAKE THE POSTSEASON?
  5. DID HE NOT WANT TO END THE GAME AND GET HIS PLAYERS ON THE FLIGHT TO TAMPA?
  6. AND WHY BRING IN THE AWFUL PROCTOR WHEN WE HAD AYALA AND THE KIDS IN THE PEN? (YES, JOE HAD BEEN EJECTED BY THEN, BUT STILL.)

I was mad at losing the second game (hence the all-caps above) even as I enjoyed the first three in the series this weekend. I thought we could and should have swept.

But so be it. Let’s just hope everyone stays healthy during the series in Tampa and whatever happens with the Wild Card is what it is.

Time to start thinking about next Friday’s Game 1 of the ALDS and whether I’ll be having “lucky food” again. When we won in 2009, I was counting on nightly pizza to do the trick and it worked. But I’d like to try something less artery clogging. Any suggestions?

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “I Am Not A Fan Of Scott Proctor”

1. Freya says:

As soon as I saw that Scott Proctor was coming in, I knew that we would lose the game.

2. Leo says:

Proctor is useless. Our bullpen was already a strength without him there and he’s failed in every or almost every situation we brought him for. Why Cashman thought to give his overworked arm a second chance with us is baffling. The offense is at fault for the loss as well. Lackey has been awful this year and after the first couple innings, they let him cruise by to shut them down until the bullpen. Granted, the kids tried but they were overmatched. The rest of the offense, well they were anemic and caused the game to go to extras. Proctor just mercilessly ended it earlier than we wanted. Well now we have to rely on the O’s to play the good spoiler again and hopefully the best case scenario is that they sweep the Red Sox. I don’t want the Yankees to roll over easily for the Rays but if Girardi is going to be resting regulars, they’re bound to lose a game or two in the final series. I’d love to see a tie breaking 163rd game played between them. As a baseball fan it means we get more baseball. As a Yankee fan, it means that they will be exhausting themselves using their best starters, relievers, and position players to make the playoffs and hopefully should make them easier to face.

3. Melissa says:

I’m with you Freya. Once they brought in Proctor and Gamble, I knew it was over. I was a wreck during the game and kept saying to my husband, Why? This game doesn’t really count for us.
    Perhaps we lost because of bad karma – I realized I didn’t stay up late to watch the Yankees win, I stayed up to watch the Red Sox lose.
    It was stupid last night. Girardi should shit or get off the pot. Either you want to win the game and you put in good players, or not. So he “rested” the big guys by letting everyone stay up so late? I know, hind sight is 20/20.

Jane, at least you only had to “stay up” until 8:30. We were up way past our bedtime!

Believe it or not, there were a few positives. Besides Proctor and Gamble, the bullpen pitched well. The position player young kids didn’t do terribly. Montero is already getting intentionally walked – that must have made him feel chuffed.

The Yankees biggest problem is consistency.The bullpen, Cano and Jeter since his stint on the DL are the only consistent players. (Proctor and Gamble is consistent – consistently bad.).

Agreed, Freya. It was the equivalent of “Let’s just throw in the towel.” Ugh.

I’m with you on everything you said, Leo. I cannot understand why Cashman picked up Proctor in the first place. So many of his signings have been happy surprises, but not this one. And the offense was anemic in that second game. They did let Lackey off the hook when he was struggling early and did nothing with their bullpen, obviously. Which is why I was so mad that none of our big guns came in late to pinch hit? They rested the whole game. Would it have been so terrible for Jeter, a hot hitter, to come off the bench for an inning or two? (Maybe he would have gotten pie for the first time in his career on the last day at the Stadium for the regular season?) Oh well. As you say, it’s in the O’s hands now, as well as ours at the Trop.

I was a wreck too, Melissa. It was like old times against the Red Sox. I relaxed during the first couple of games in the series. We had an early lead, the games went quickly and I was fine. But the last one was more typical – tense, long and frustrating. And yes, I was grateful that I live on the west coast. I was just mad at myself for being such a couch potato. Very cool when Montero was intentionally walked. But letting Romine hit with the bases loaded was just nuts; Joe should have pinch hit for him.

5. Uncle Mike says:

You are not a fan of Scott Proctor because you have A) eyes and B) taste.

6. Harold says:

Hi,
    Proctor has proven over and over that he doesn’t belong and let’s hope that his last effort will guarantee that he won’t get near a playoff game. He gives a bad name to a terrific bull pen.
    Imagine Jeter hitting .300! When he was going bad at the beginning of the season there were articles in the newspaper pointing out how poorly other great shortstops hit when they were Jeter’s age.
    Now if only Texeira could start hitting.
    For what it’s worth I am predicting a Detroit – Philadelphia World Series with the Phillies winning it all.
    Harold

HAHA, Uncle Mike. Right you are.

So excited that Jeter reached the .300 mark, Harold. He sure showed the doubters, didn’t he? That stint on the DL and his work with Gary Denbo seems to have re-set his body and given him back his timing. Yes, it would be nice if Tex would flip a switch and start hitting too. I don’t like your prediction at all!

8. YankeeCase says:

Can we have Proctor take a long bus ride to Tampa? Or leave him on the side of the road somewhere??

Sigh… He probably already made the trip, I’m sure.

9. new yawk lover says:

I was baseballed out, and dozed off in the 13th, it was late here in the east. So much for the hundred wins this year. The last roster for the three games will resemble spring training, and TB will be playing in desperation mode.

I don’t want Proctor near Tampa, YankeeCase. That might mean he’s still in the organization!

I should have been baseballed out, NYL. It felt like an eternity of watching. I hope the regulars will be rested for these last games but not too rested. No rust.

Agree about Proctor (Yup, I knew it was over then, too) and was really frustrated that Romine was sent in to hit against Papelbon with the bases loaded in the ninth while Jeter and A-rod looked on. If you want to rest your regulars, how about keeping the game in regulation? The extra innings did nothing for anyone. I will never understand how Girardi’s mind works.

Audrey, Girardi’s explanation to the media about not using Jeter/A-Rod/Jones to pinch hit was that they’d been sitting for a long time and he would have had to get them up and ready and they might have hurt themselves. (I’m paraphrasing.) While I’d never want to risk injury to our guys, I did have to laugh. Are they not professional athletes? Are they made of glass?

Aren’t pinch hitters always in a similar situation?