What Was Not To Love About That Game?

September 24th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Things went so much better than I could have imagined. On paper, Lester versus Sweaty Freddy looked like a mismatch, but here’s what we know about paper.

It means nothing. Lester didn’t have it and Garcia did and there was a moment when Lester was standing on the mound, after giving up the homer to Jeter, when I thought he might burst into tears. He was so tough in the first inning, wasn’t he? After that, not so much.

Here’s what else was great:

1. Jesus Montero’s hitting theatrics.
  2. Boone Logan’s mastery of Ortiz.
  3. Watching Andruw Jones run the bases.
  4. The fact that a Yankees-Red Sox game only took THREE HOURS.
  5. The fact that we scored 9 runs without any production from A-Rod, Grandy or Tex.
  6. The fact that Joe Buck wasn’t around for the broadcast.

Here’s what wasn’t great:

1. A-Rod’s rust; I’m concerned.
  2. Tex’s continued slump; I’m concerned. (What’s he batting? Like .230? If that?)
  3. The fact that FOX didn’t show us the pre-game ceremonies with the Maris family except for a tiny clip. (I couldn’t get over how much one of the sons looks like his dad.)

Anyhow, it was a terrific win for the Yanks after all the beatdowns this year at the hands of the Sox and a very reassuring performance by Sweaty Freddy.

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “What Was Not To Love About That Game?”

1. Melissa says:

Loved it! I do have a soft spot for Jon Lester because of his cancer diagnosis at such a young age. But not soft enough to want him to beat us!
    Freddie did a great job. It was a fun, fun game. I was so glad they added on runs after the six run inning. Just to show they could!
    It was lovely not to have to listen to Joe Buck talk, especially his fawning over Tim. Tim didn’t seem as obnoxious, because the other guy kept him quiet.
    Tex and ARod can stay quiet all week – as long as they come alive on Friday.

And Montero! Sterling’s call is “Jesus is turned loose.” But I giggle when I think he could say “Jesus saves!” or “Jesus Christ!” (I hope I’m not offending anyone.)

2. Leo says:

Yes finally I get a win at a game this year! What fun would it have been if Montero had hit a triple. He was just a triple away from the cycle. Anyway, after Jeter’s homer, he was the most exciting thing from tonight’s game. His first hit allowed us to score and start that awesome rally that was capped by Jeter’s homer. It’s a small sample size but he doesn’t look to be overmatched by ML pitching and fits right in offensively. Yes, Freddy did a great job pitching for us tonight in what was a mismatch on paper. But do you all feel he is our best candidate for the third starter in the playoffs? I would say yes as Colon looks to be out of gas and Hughes is injured.

It really made a difference not to have to listen to Buck, didn’t it, Melissa? It was like a whole different broadcast and I wasn’t cringing every second. (I guess Tim has stopped dying his hair. No more shoe polish.) I heard on Twitter that Sterling’s home run call for Montero wasn’t among his best, and it isn’t. I think “Jesus saves” would be hilarious.

You saw a great game today, Leo, so congratulations! I was hoping Montero would hit for the cycle, but he put on quite a show anyway. Yes, as of this moment I’d make Garcia our #3 starter. AJ is the only other option and it’s a scary one.

5. Melissa says:

I think the Yankees need to put Buck Showalter back on the payroll. The Orioles just took the lead over Detroit in the top of the ninth. If the O’s win, the Yankees clinch home field advantage.
    And how about Damon hitting a homer to give the Rays the lead? Now they’ve won and are only 1 1/2 in back of Boston.

6. barbara says:

so you are following these other games too, melissa. the yankees just clinched the best record in the al. it seems weird because we have so few starting pitchers to count on. we seem flawed compared to other yankee teams but we are the best in the AL. yeah!

Great idea about Showalter, Melissa. Put him on the payroll or at least send him a very large fruit basket.

Very excited about home field advantage, Barbara. Yes, the team is flawed but when you look at the rest of the competition you realize that they’re flawed too – even the Phillies, who have been on a slide since they clinched.

8. John says:

Just what I wished for. A dominating Yankee win.

Everything started out good for us in the Bronx yesterday. Michael Jordan parked next to us in the garage and I got a BP HR ball. Full house and crowd was electric of course.

Life is good and a sweep today would make it even better.

9. John says:

Just what I wished for, a dominating Yankee win.

Everything started out good for us yesterday. Michael Jordan parked next to us in the garage and I got a BP HR ball. Crowd was electric. Sox fans around us were pleasantly silent. I did get into a guy behind me a little.

A sweep today would make a good life even better.

10. Melissa says:

Weather forecast for today has changed. (what a surprise!) Now only a 30% chance of showers from 3 PM on. Hopefully they will get both games in.

11. John says:

Sorry about the double post.

John, your comment was so good it was worth posting twice. :) Really glad you had fun. Maybe you and Leo should go today too, since you brought us luck.

That’s great news, Melissa. No matter what happens I’d hate to see this series extended for any reason. Today will be a marathon, I have a feeling.

13. new yawk lover says:

Absolutely loved it. Between the Yankee’s humiliation of the Bosox, and watching with delight as the Phillies lost their 7th and 8th consecutive games in NYC, yesterday was a banner baseball day for me, one of the most pleasant of the season. I’m really hoping to see the Yanks stay focused and goal directed in these last regular season games, with the emphasis on aggressive at bats. No mercy.

14. Jeff says:

Not only was it a great beatdown game, but it gave you an opportunity to sing the tune of “Sweaty Freddy”. LOL.

I think the Yanks will stay focused, NYL, but the lineup Joe’s going with today is pretty funky. Posada is batting cleanup? Let’s just say he’s resting quite a few position players, so it should be interesting.

I love saying “Sweaty Freddy,” Jeff! He sweats almost as much as what’s-his-name with the Dodgers, who used to pitch for the Rangers – the guy who supposedly shot himself in the leg and hits batters a lot!

16. Sue says:

“Sweaty Freddy” – hee! I don’t think he ever did enough as a Phillie to actually sweat. Glad to see he’s working out for you; he sure didn’t for us back in ’07.

I think Sweaty Freddy has gotten smarter about pitching, Sue. He’s turned into one of those “wily veterans” we hear about. Of course there are days when he can get lit up, because he doesn’t throw hard, but overall he’s been a big help.