It means nothing. Lester didn’t have it and Garcia did and there was a moment when Lester was standing on the mound, after giving up the homer to Jeter, when I thought he might burst into tears. He was so tough in the first inning, wasn’t he? After that, not so much.
Here’s what else was great:
- Jesus Montero’s hitting theatrics.
- Boone Logan’s mastery of Ortiz.
- Watching Andruw Jones run the bases.
- The fact that a Yankees-Red Sox game only took THREE HOURS.
- The fact that we scored 9 runs without any production from A-Rod, Grandy or Tex.
- The fact that Joe Buck wasn’t around for the broadcast.
Here’s what wasn’t great:
- A-Rod’s rust; I’m concerned.
- Tex’s continued slump; I’m concerned. (What’s he batting? Like .230? If that?)
- The fact that FOX didn’t show us the pre-game ceremonies with the Maris family except for a tiny clip. (I couldn’t get over how much one of the sons looks like his dad.)
Anyhow, it was a terrific win for the Yanks after all the beatdowns this year at the hands of the Sox and a very reassuring performance by Sweaty Freddy.