“These Fans Are Crazy!”

September 19th, 2011 by Jane Heller

So said Mo at his post-game press conference today, referring to the crowd’s cheers when Swisher hit into a double play, ending the Yankees’ scoring threat and insuring that Mo would come in and attempt to break the saves record. In case anyone missed it, here’s the link to the presser.

How adorable is the youngest Mo Junior? The boy alternately mugged for the media, yawned, sneezed and gazed up adoringly at his famous father. I couldn’t take my eyes off him.

What a day. I was crying after the first out and then was flat out sobbing when it was all over and the hugging kicked in. Jorge looked the happiest I’ve seen him all season. Very classy job by the Twins to stand on the steps of the visitors’ dugout to applaud. I only wish Pettitte had been there, since he was around for the beginning of all this greatness. I was so glad everybody encouraged Mo to stand on that mound by himself to soak in the love. He deserves every drop of it.

As for the game itself, here’s what I wanted to do to AJ.

I’m not a violent person, but he was pitching to a bunch of kids for the most part. Just inexcusable. If Rothschild and company haven’t been able to fix him by now, they’re not going to and he should spend the postseason in Arkansas. End of story. Big thanks to our bullpen, who shouldn’t have had to bail him out so early in the game but did.

Now bring on those pesky stingrays.

Tags: , , , ,

20 Responses to ““These Fans Are Crazy!””

1. Darren says:

What a great moment in Yankee history! I was “watching” the game on Gameday at my office. I have tickets to the game against the Rays on Thursday so I was sort of hoping for 4 blow outs in a row before a close one then, but oh well. If history had to be made today I guess I am okay with it.

Jane I totally agree about AJ. He doesn’t have it for whatever reason and there is no way you can feel comfortable putting him on the mound in a post season game. Of course I am not really all that comfortable with our rotation at all right now. I’m hoping Colon gives me something to cheer about when I see him.

I haven’t commented in a while, but I’m always reading! I’m hoping for 3 out of 4 against the Rays.

2. YankeeCase says:

Jane! I was there again! And I recorded it all! And I wanted to email it to you! But it goes on for ten minutes and was too big to attach… Ack! lol

My cousin and I were there. I just knew this would be the day, so I took advantage of what would be cheap tickets for this make up date. And wow… I never heard Yankee fans cheering against the Yankees scoring runs! lol

I bought my first authentic jersey before the game. Of course a Mariano Rivera jersey. I knew he would do something special today to christen it. I just had to be there because Mariano is my favorite Yankee ever, without a doubt (if he were Dominican, it’d be perfect…). So I’m glad things broke the right way and we were able to witness it firsthand.

So I’m 5-3 now for my personal record. And I’ve seen three historical events! The three Grand Slam game, Mariano’s 602nd save, and Opening Day where Justin Verlander didn’t get a win! (ok, well that last one doesn’t count, but there were plenty of great moments to be sure!)

Next game has to be a playoff game! And hopefully the last game I’ll attend this year will be a World Series clincher…

I’ll post Mariano’s save on YouTube if anyone wants to hear me scream out, “Mariano!!!” obnoxiously… :D

3. John says:

Yesterday I informed by e-mail all my Red Sox fan friends that they obviously need to become Yankee fans this week. I asked if they would do the deed.

I got 4 quick responses, three of which conceided they would root for the Yanks. I replied to them that they had broken the sacred vow of the Sox Nation by saying they would root for the Yankees. I informed them I would forward their admission to the proper authorities in Boston. The forth, the owner of the Motel I will be staying at in Maine the week after next said “I will never root for anyone but the Sox”. I replied that he sounded like someone who will be going into a closet with a radio and to for the Yankees this week.

5 and 2

Mo, a class act.

Yesterday was absolutely beautiful and I really hoped to got for a bike ride after the game, or before it ended if it was a blowout. At first it looked like my plan would come to fruition – we were on the way to a blowout with AJ pitching well and our hitters striking blows. But all of a sudden it was 5-4 and we had a save situation on our hands.

Plans for the bike ride were immediately shelved. If Mariano was going to make history I was certainly going to hear it (no television coverge here today). And, boy, did he make history in style! What a ninth inning and what a great man. There will always be other afternoon bike rides but there is only one Mariano Rivera and only one chance to hear him secure his place as the greatest relief pitcher in baseball.

5. yankeefansince1941 says:

The Yankees have been blesses with some fine relief pitchers. I recall Jim turner, Joe Page, Ryne Duren, Dave Righetti, and John Wetteland; but there will never be another as fine and as effective as Mariano Rivera.
    The great Allie Reynolds once commented on the Yankees’ new pitcher, Reynolds-Page, because of the many times Joe Page saved a game for him. Ryne Duren wore coke bottle glasses and when he’d warm up he would throw a 95 mph fastball ten feet over the catcher’s head or six feet to his left or right. He feigned wildness so effectively that batters were afraid to stand in against him. And Righetti and Wetteland were great, but, again, nowhere near the caliber of Mo.
    So the Yankees can now boast of two records that may never be broken; Mo’s 602 saves and DiMaggio’s 56 game hitting streak. Of course I still refuse to admit that Maris’s 61 home runs has been beaten.

6. Ladyjane303 says:

I was at work and had the game on the radio. Our pc’s almost always block out videos, You Tube, etc, but something made me click into the Yankees website as the 9th was starting. To my great surprise and delight, the web fed the live feed from YES and I was able to see it, and how lucky I was (though not as lucky as you, Eddie). Hadn’t seen the presser until I got think link from above. Totally agree – the littlest Mo is absolutely adorable. But could there be a more modest, classy, humble and impressive role model than the man he calls his dad? If those kids grow up to be half the man their father is, they will be wonderful adults. I love that Mo took time to congratulate Sweeney Murty on the birth of his daughter. I love his comments about standing alone on the mound for the first time. I love that he was kidding with the press about “being their favorite” – and why woulnd’t he be? I loved the 602 pieces of cake, and hearing about how he thought the neighbors back home would be celebrating. I didn’t love his use of the “r” word – I save that word for me, not the greatest closer of all time. Great picture in today’s Times of Mo standing alone on the mound – a keeper for me.

Oh, well, Darren. Sorry you weren’t actually there to see the game, but I bet you’ll see a good one on Thursday. This should be a really competitive series. No, I’m not comfortable with AJ at all. He was lights out for the first three innings and then suddenly had a meltdown – and in his postgame remarks didn’t seem to notice! He said he was fine until Joe came out and pulled him. Total denial. Always good to see your comments. :)

Of course you were there, YankeeCase. When there’s history being made, you’re on the scene! Very cool that you captured it all on video. I’m sure it’s an added bonus to hear you yell in the background. LOL. I hope you go to every playoff game because you and your cousin are clearly good luck for us.

You’re going to Maine in a couple of weeks, John? You do pick interesting times to head into enemy territory. I hope you can find some Yankee fans to watch the games with.

Good move postponing your bike ride, Audrey. I like the way you reasoned that out. There will always be another chance to ride the bike but only one chance to see (or hear) Mo make history. What a great day for him and the us!

I’ve read about Duren, yankeefansince1941, and he does sound like quite a character. I was thinking back to Righetti and Wetteland yesterday (and, of course, Gossage and Sparky), but there will never be another like Mo for many reasons. I hope the young kids watching these days understand that. Mo is all they know. So spoiled.

Wow. Good intuition clicking onto the web site just at the right moment, ladyjane. Wasn’t that amazing that Mo took the time to congratulate Sweeny during the presser? I was amazed by that, but I guess I shouldn’t be after watching Mo all these years. I agree with all your other comments too. Such an emotional occasion!

8. margaret says:

I am so happy about this I can not even begin to articulate my feelings.
    And you are so correct, Mo’s little boy was so friggin’ cute I wanted to just squeeze those chubby cheeks and hug him. Adorable. Their father is a classy man this is a great example for his children and for everyone watching.

I am spoiled. I can’t fathom life without Mo.
    But I don’t want to think about it. I want to marinate in this feeling for awhile.
    these last 11 games will be torture for me/us.

9. Harold says:

Greetings from sunny Florida,
    I remember all the relief pitchers mentioned in the previous blogs but a prominent one was left out – Johnny Murphy who was the star relief pitcher in the 1930s. He saved many a game for Lefty Gomez and Gomez linked his name with Murphy, much like Reynolds and Page. The possibility of anyone breaking Mariano’s record is a near impossibility and if it happens it will be long after Mariano and all his contemporaries are gone. I can’t imagine anyone being so consistent and so brilliant for 16 years! Now, if we only can assign AJ to the minors we might have a chance.
    Harold

When you come late to a major celebration party, it’s difficult to add anything that hasn’t already been contributed.
    Perhaps this will suffice…Tom Verducci, an ESPN columnist, found a great quotation so apropos to Mo:

“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity” — Plato

11. Jeff says:

Yikes! That’s a not-so-flattering picture of AJ. Pretty much sums up what most fans think of him too, I’d say. Congrats to Mo. At the top like that… that’s a mighty fine place to be. Couldn’t have happened to a more humble guy.

I felt the same way about Mo’s little one, Peg. I wanted to kidnap him and sit him next to me while I work. HAHA. You can just see how much he wants his daddy to stay home. Gulp. I wonder if Mo will go the Pettitte root after next season and opt to trade family over baseball. But lalalalalala. Don’t want to think about it! And yes, this week’s worth of games will be scaaary.

Hi, Harold. I can’t imagine anyone being as consistent (and classy) and Mo either. He’s a one-time phenomenon and we’re so lucky to have had him as a Yankee all these years. Maybe we could assign AJ to handle all the catering services for the organization, since he’s so good with pies.

Love the Plato quote, Dave. Very apt. Sums Mo up to perfection.

So humble, Jeff, and yet so confident. It’s hard to be both, but Mo manages it.

13. Freya says:

MO – MO – MO…..

14. Melissa says:

We watched Yankees encore and thought we’d get to go to bed early. Then AJ had his meltdown. Oh AJ! I see you are feeling the way I am Jane. Remember I told you I wanted to give him a black eye? Grrrrrr!

As for Mo, what else can be said? I was really nervous in the 9th inning because I wanted him to get it over with. It was fitting that he got the record on a day when the stands weren’t filled to capacity. It was a smaller celebration, which fits his style. Yea for Eddie! You were there!
    His son was so cute, just smiling up at him. He seemed to especially like it any time Mo said he had no hair. HIs kids probably don’t see him much during the season, so they were probably really happy. I started to tell my husband how cool it would be to have Mo as a father, then I thought again. It would be hard – you’d never want to do anything wrong! How could you disappoint him?

I was so glad that reporter asked the question in Spanish and Mariano answered. Sometimes I forget how impressive it is that these guys are bilingual. Mo always speaks so carefully, you think he always talks slowly. Oh no! In Spanish, his lips were a blur.

I am so thankful that I’ve been able to watch his career. He is amazing beyond words. Loved that quote Dave!

15. Janet says:

Thanks to BobCerv, I tracked down the story Tom Verducci wrote about Mo for Sport Illustrated. He’s a wonderful writer.

Nice cheer, Freya. I second it!

I had the same thought about being a kid and having Mo as a father, Melissa. It must be wonderful on some levels but there is the idea about not wanting to disappoint him. I, too, loved hearing him answer the question in Spanish. He spoke so fast!

Thanks for the link, Janet.

17. Lauren says:

Please keep beating the Rays. Please. Thanks.

18. John says:

Yankee friends, go to Yahoo sports and read the article about legal papers served to Eric Bedard in the Red Sox Clubhouse yesterday afternoon by a sheriff wearing a Yankee shirt. A child support issue.

This is a real classic. This guy deserves an Oscar and a place in the Monument Park of Fans!

I read about that last night, John, and it made me cheer for the guy who served the papers. What guts to walk in there in his Yankees gear and state his allegiance with pride. Sounds like Bedard is quite the stand up guy – not.

20. jane heller says:

We shall see, Lauren. Beating the Rays works for me.