Welcome Back, A-Rod

September 17th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I’m such a hypocrite. In last night’s post I was all mad at A-Rod, but today I’m being nice to him. Totally two-faced of me.

I was skeptical that he could miraculously appear in his first game in awhile and pick up where he left off. I figured his timing would be screwed up, not to mention that his thumb would affect his swing. Wrong. That three-run homer lifted the offense up after Colon’s miserable start, and the Yanks were right back in it.

Great to see Granderson’s bat come alive too. I do love those evil homers.

Excellent job by the pen, holding the one-run lead. Kudos to Laffey (gulp – did I really compliment him?) and to Proctor (ditto), and to Soriano (such a strikeout machine lately) and, above all, to Mo.

#601. One more save to go and he’ll be the all-time leader – forevah! Can’t wait to see if he’s as nonchalant when he gets #602 as he was today or if he’ll allow himself a little more self-congratulation. It’ll be cool to see Mrs. Mo and the Junior Mo’s come onto the field to celebrate with him. I think it’s cute that he brought them to Toronto just in case.

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Welcome Back, A-Rod”

1. new yawk lover says:

I didn’t have broadcast access today, but watched the good old WB Mason Yankee Postgame show on YES. They showed the entire 12 pitch Granderson HR at bat, which was very encouraging to see. He has 40 now, I’m impressed. Cano is my favorite Yankee player, a tremendously gifted athlete, but WTF is up with him on the basepaths lately? He either needs to brush up on the rules, or have a plexiglass window installed in his abdomen so he can see where he’s going with his head up his ass. Nobody is perfect, but T ball level mental errors?

Great to get a win, though, especially one that showcased some desire in the face of adversity. Well done. TB is up 4-2 on the Sox in the middle of the 7th, liking that, too.

That at bat by Granderson was fantastic, NYL. He hung in there and you just knew something good would come of it. And the 40 homers are amazing for a guy nobody expected to hit lefties. Cano’s blunder was so lame. I can laugh at it now, because they won, but to see him running past Tex was not good. He must be tired.

3. John says:

Cano should be sent to the bench (like when he was screwing up with Melky) without any seeds for a day. Maybe he should also have to clean the dugout after a couple of games.

In the radio post-game it was reported that Cano thought that ball had not been caught and had gone into the corner. Still, no excuse – he should have known better than to pass Tex. He’s done stupid stuff a lot lately.

Yes, Jane, I, too, have apologized to A-Rod for all the mean things I’ve thought and said about him. I hope his presence will spark the rest of our tired bats. It seems to be helping both Granderson and Texeira. I sure hope yesterday’s performances were the beginning of the end of their slumps.

Pitching is still worrisome. It was great to see the bullpen come through but our starting pitching is looking pretty dead. We need some CPR pronto.

We had some people over last night, some of whom root for that unmentionable Massachusetts team. It’s kind of fun to tease them with the sad fact that next week they could be rooting for the Yankees to keep the Rays at bay (no pun intended). Of course, they lose no matter who wins. Quite delicious!

Hearty congratulations, Mo!! Thank you, SO much, for every…single…one…

6. yankeefansince1941 says:

What everybody else said…ditto.

7. Melissa says:

The comeback win by the Yankees and the loss by the Sox made it a nice day yesterday!

ARod. I grumble about him sometimes, but he always shows us why a team needs him. He has a flare for the dramatic! And don’t discount how his presence in the line up affects the pitches thrown to his team mates.

Granderson. What an at bat! Hope this sets him on a hot streak that lasts until November.

Cano. Like NYL, he is just about my favorite player. What awesome talent. But not only has he had base running errors, he also hasn’t hustled up the line on ground outs. He sort of stands for a minute like he’s unhappy, then does a very slow jog to first. RUN IT OUT, Robinson. I hope his dad gave him hell last night. Of course, he’s played a lot of games and has had the weight of the team on his shoulders lately, with ARod not playing and Tex and Granderson not hitting. But still.

I was ready to throw in the towel early in the game and just hope for a TB win. I went to do some gardening and was out of radio range when my son came out to tell me ARod had hit the 3 run homer. What a turn around!!

I like your punishment suggestions for Cano, John. I think Mo will preside over the Kangaroo Court and fine him plenty for that blunder.

I heard Cano say that, Audrey, but I also read Tex’s comment – that it was understandable but shouldn’t have happened. Or, to paraphrase, Cano should have known better. I agree completely that A-Rod being back in the lineup helped the other hitters so I hope he doesn’t have a setback and really strengthens the offense now and through the remaining games. The starting pitching is worrisome again, just like it was in the beginning of the year. Colon looks tired. Hughes has back spasms. AJ is AJ. CC isn’t CC. Nova and Garcia have probably been our most consistent guys lately, which is scary.

Yes, we are so thankful for Mo, Dave. Sure hope he breaks the record today in fine style.

LOL, yankeefansince1941. Why waste words, right?

You’re right about Cano’s lack of hustle, Melissa. I noticed it too. He does kind of stand there before running to first. If his dad hasn’t pointed it out, then Mick Kelleher should. Isn’t it great when you think the Yanks have no chance, you leave the TV/radio for awhile and then you come back to find they’ve tied it up or gone ahead? I love those moments, although, as you know, I’d rather be ahead by 10 runs every time. Haha.

9. Freya says:

I was driving home to Long Island from New Jersey yesterday and I turned on the game. At that point the Yankees were down by 4 runs. I decided I needed a stress free trip so I turned off the game and listened to music instead. As soon as I got home I called my sister (another she-fan, also named Jane) to check in and she told me that the Yankees were up by a run and they were going to the bottom of the ninth. Of course I watched and was so excited! Every time I go to Yankee Stadium and Mo comes out, it is truly awesome. His humility and humanity are amazing. Even though I want him to get #602 today, I think it would be very special if it happens in New York.

That must have been a happy phone call with your she-fan sister Jane, Freya! I know it would be great for Mo to break the record at home, but I also want to win today’s game. If he gets the save in it, great. I just would like to go into this tough week with another “W” behind us.

11. Melissa says:

If the Yankees get a blow out for you today Jane, we’ll get the win and Mo can do his save at home. A girl can hope!

That works for me, Melissa!

13. Freya says:

Agreed – a blowout today and a save tomorrow for Mo.

Well, Freya, the blowout didn’t happen and neither did the save. But there’s always tomorrow.