Mo, We Are Not Worthy!

September 13th, 2011 by Jane Heller

With the Yankees clinging to a 3-2 lead over the Mariners in the bottom of the ninth, in came Mo for save #600. And he got it in grand style. The celebration on the mound was typically low key for a man who personifies low key, but there was no mistaking how proud he was and maybe even relieved. Now it’s onto breaking Hoffman’s record and becoming the saves leader of all time.

Meanwhile, AJ was his usual enigma but with a happy ending this time. He was so shaky at first, his command totally off – from hitting batters and throwing wild pitches to issuing walks and getting into full counts. But he struck out 11 and held the M’s to two runs. Not too shabby.

Soriano was great in the seventh, and D-Rob was maddening but got the job done. (Why must he load the bases before squeaking out of trouble?)

The offense was as expected: weak against a pitcher who was unfamiliar. But three runs proved to be enough for the win. And good thing, since the Red Sox finally won one too.

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Mo, We Are Not Worthy!”

1. Peggy says:

Congrats to Mo !!!!!!! To quote a Tina Turner song …”You’re simply the best…better than all the rest”. There will never be another Mo and I want to thank the Good Lord for making him a Yankee (and me a Yankee fan). LuvYa Mo ….on to 602 …

Nice job by AJ tonight too.

Go Yankees 2011 !!!!!

2. Barbara says:

i just woke up and was scared to check the damage. i can’t believe it. oh it feels likes a gift when i expect a loss and get a win. it sounds like it was scary to watch but the bottom line was great.
    we had an event last night at the homeless shelter i work at and i met a crazy yankee fan, like most of us. he knew just what i meant about getting up in the middle of the night to check a west coast score. i also met a woman from a local bank who sponsors the kids program i run who also is a yankee fan. it made the event so much fun!
    but not as much fun as hearing mo got 600!

3. John says:

Of course a Yankee win last night made me very happy but can you imagine the jubilation in the Red Sox Nation today.

For the first time in nearly a week, young Sox fans can take advantage of the “Kids Eat Free When the Sox Win” offer from the 99 Restaurant chain in New England! Now thats really exciting stuff.

4. Melissa says:

John, it doesn’t sound like that restaurant chain has much faith in the Red Sox.

Watching video of Mo after the win makes me again marvel at what a spiritual man he is.

5. James says:

Quoting another Yankee legend, The Iron Horse “..today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth” Thank You Mo, for make us part of your great legacy, thank you for let us witness greatness, for teach us humility and phenomenal work ethics, as well as how to be the best and not losing your essence nor your humanity in the process. I’ll be proud to tell my children and grandchildren about how fortunate I was to see your career and learn from you.
    God bless us to follow your example, because he has already blessed you.
    James

Peggy, how lucky are we that we’ve had Mo all these years? It was such a thrill and a honor for me to watch him get #600 last night since he’s my favorite (current) Yankee. And yes, AJ’s outing shouldn’t get lost in all the hoopla, although since the M’s don’t hit it would have been sad if he hadn’t been good!

I know what you mean about wins being a gift, Barbara. And what fun that you met some Yankee fans. That makes everything more enjoyable, especially living where you do.

LOL, John. You are merciless.

Mo is spiritual, Melissa, and he’s also humble. There was no jumping around on the mound, no pounding his chest where his heart is (I hate when athletes do that). He just smiled and laughed with his teammates and accepted all the hugs and congratulations. Who doesn’t love Mo Rivera?

It will be great to tell your children and grandchildren that you witnessed Mo’s career, James. We’re all privileged to have watched him over the years and witnessed the reign of a bona fide HOF-er.

7. Uncle Mike says:

Strange, but if this save were Number 599 instead of Number 600, we’d all be talking about “Good A.J.” Instead, A.J.’s best performance in ages gets overlooked. Number 602 will be much more important than this one, which wouldn’t have happened if we’d gotten “Bad A.J.” instead. Mo gets plenty of acclaim, all of it deserved, but let’s thank Burnett for being Good A.J. last night.

Amen, Uncle Mike. And can I get a BIG AAAA-MEN for Number 42?!?
    It is, and always has been, rather perfect that Mo wears a number that’s ALREADY retired (much like Yogi did when he wore Bill Dickey’s #8, with Dickey’s blessing)…and yet, altho’ every other team in beisbol was “ordered” to retire the number, to honor Jackie and all that, only the Yanks had a guy who was SO good that retiring the number was foreordained anyway. Something spiritual in that. And likely the most humble guy on the entire team, to boot. No, there never will be another. That’s a little scary, but then again, we just need to savor every morsel of him while we can.
    More numbers fun — his 41st save, at the age of 41. I can recall when getting 30 or 35 saves in a season was a VERY big deal. Mo just blows by it, at his age, and other than the Massive Total Quantity that it’s helped him achieve, it doesn’t seem to get recognized. Mmm mmm mmm…
    And yes, let’s give A.J. a hand. Wild thing, you make my heart sing, you don’t walk EVERYTHING! Altho’, you are now The King of Wild Pitches — the most in one season in Yankee HISTORY. Sigh. Apropos, though — on The Night for Mo, we got Something Mo’ — or less — but no loss…!

We’d all be talking about AJ, good or bad, Uncle Mike, but this night belonged to Mo. How often does a reliever record 600 saves? AJ can wait for another day. Besides, as I said above, his strikeouts were impressive and he got stronger as the game went on – a rarity for him – but his wildness was tough to watch and there were moments when he had absolutely no idea where the ball was going.

Yes, Mo’s age just makes his feat that much more amazing, Dave. But I think it does get recognized. Not sure what you meant there. I did read one article that said that getting 600 saves wasn’t that big a deal because “how hard is it to get three outs?” I nearly spit out my chamomile tea when I read that this morning.

We have been blessed to witness greatness – greatness of ability but, even more importantly, greatness of heart, mind and soul. Thank you, Mo, and thank you, God, for Mo. And, like Peggy said, Thank you for making me a Yankee fan.

11. Melissa says:

Dave, Dave,Dave.Give credit where credit is due. AJ has the most wild pitches for a season in MAJOR LEAGUE history.

James, nicely put! I am so grateful to have been able to watch this wonderful guy for all these years.

Don’t choke on your chamomile, Jane. What I meant wasn’t that Mo wasn’t getting enuf credit for 600 — of course he is — but that getting 40+ saves a year nowadays is No Big Deal. Then I read that Mo’s now done it a total of 8 TIMES. Wow. That sort of makes my point, I guess, whatever it was…nevermind…!

Melissa, a thousand apologies. The MOST WP’s EVER?!? How impressive. Somewhere in Beisbol Heaven, Ryne Duren is cleaning his coke-bottle glasses in pride. And to think…we still have a few more starts to go!! Well, maybe one or two…which is about how many WP’s our Wild Thang will be allowed to throw, esp. if they dare have him face the Sawx…or the Rays…or…oh…just nevermind again…!

I didn’t choke on my chamomile because of your comment, Dave. Look again. I said it was because of the article I read that was dismissive of Mo’s accomplishment.

14. Emma says:

A belated but heart felt congratulations to Mariano Rivera. As a native Central American myself, I am very proud of him. -Emma