Thank You, Peter Bourjos, Whoever You Are!

September 11th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Photo: Getty Images

I like to think the Yankees would have won today’s finale against the Angels even without Bourjos’ error, but who cares. The important thing is that we did win. We did break the losing streak. We did gain a game on the Red Sox. We did watch Mo get save #599 and inch closer to his big milestone.

It’s amazing what a win does for my personality. I’m actually smiling.

How cool was it to see both Montero and Romine make their major league catching debuts in the same game – especially after a night when Jorge was essentially pulled out of catching retirement. Talk about a passing of the torch(es).

I’m so happy I’m not even going to mention that Garcia gave up five runs in five innings or that Soriano wasn’t exactly lights out or that Tex’s sac fly was the best he could do. (I know, I know. I just did mention those little issues. Sorry.)

Better to focus on the fact that we head to Seattle in a positive frame of mind, even with all the injuries.

Goodbye, Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and good riddance.

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Thank You, Peter Bourjos, Whoever You Are!”

With all the lucky hits the Angels always manage to scratch out I’d say we deserve a little help so I don’t care how we scored those runs, I’m so glad we scored them. And the double play to end the game – classic! I love it when my heart can return to my chest after being lodge uncomfortably somewhere in my throat.

We did deserve a little help, Audrey. Maybe that help/luck with be a turning point and we’ll go on a tear now. Wouldn’t that be nice?

3. John says:

14 and 3 is a GOOD thing. It makes my daily interaction with the Sox nation a one sided frontal attack.

Didn’t get to see or hear much more than the last 2 innings.

Luck is a wonderful thing!

4. Ruth says:

I’m back and majorly jet-lagged….all I can say is ‘Bourjos is Gorgeous!’ Now, can we PLEASE sweep the Mariners…a team we SHOULD beat??!!!

14 and 3 is a good thing, John, and a little luck is a very good thing! And you know what else was a good thing yesterday? No one else got injured (as far as I know).

Welcome back, Ruth. Hope you had fun despite the jet lag. Sweeping the Mariners would be nice – and needed – but I’m taking it one game at a time as I always do so let’s just win the first game.

6. Leo says:

Not to be pessimistic but we are throwing Hughes to face King Felix. Talk about an extremely lopsided matchup. So everything has to be perfect. An offensive barrage against Felix isn’t likely so Hughes is really going to have to step up and match Felix. He has to take advantage of facing a weak offense to give us the best chance to win. I do not believe we are facing Pineda this series so we lucked out (correct me if I’m wrong though). Not much else to add about yesterday except that Montero definitely needs to work more behind the plate. He’s still raw but he’s young and has some time to work on his defense as I doubt the Yankees will throw him at catcher in the playoffs unless absolutely necessary. Only got a glimpse of Romine but defensively he’s better than Montero at the moment and it was nice seeing him and his brother enjoy making the major leagues together.

Sometimes these matchups don’t go the way we expect, Leo. On paper, this one is lopsided but you never know. Maybe Hughes will put it all together tonight against a weak hitting team. In any case, our offense has to find a way to get to Felix. HAS TO. And no, we don’t face Pineda in this series.

8. Peggy says:

Jane …it sure was lopsided …thankfully on the side of the Yankees !!!! You just can’t predict baseball…right??? The game isn’t over yet..three outs to go but I’m confident it’s in the bag… :o)

Go Yankees 2011 !!!

I just this minute wrote a new post saying the same thing, Peggy. Great minds. Go look.