Another Winable Loss, And I’m Disgusted

September 9th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Colon gave the Yankees everything we could have hoped for – length, command, efficiency – and what happened? The offense couldn’t figure out Weaver, Jeter made an uncharacteristic error, Nunez got picked off, and the bullpen sucked (except for D-Rob). The result? The Angels celebrated on the field as if they’d won the World Series and we failed yet again to take advantage of a Red Sox loss. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The only bright spot? Montero hit another homer. Well, and Bart was great, as I said.

So what’s the excuse for tonight’s loss? I don’t know, but here are my lingering questions.

1. Are the Yankees still tired the way they were tired against Baltimore?
  2. Has Granderson wilted?
  3. Will the real Tex show up?
  4. Is A-Rod okay? (Why did Girardi pinch run for him anyway?)
  5. Could Mo not have been used, since he hasn’t pitched since 9/6?
  6. Will Swisher’s elbow be a serious injury?
  7. Why was Cervelli scratched from the lineup?
  8. Was Aaron Laffey really worth picking up off the scrap heap?

I’m tired of losing at Angel Stadium and I’m tired of watching my team blow chance after chance to win the AL East and I’m just tired. Good night!

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Another Winable Loss, And I’m Disgusted”

1. new yawk lover says:

Agreed. The second week of September, in the midst of a pennant race, is no time to embark on a lazy tailspin like the one happening now. Time for the Yanks to get their shit together, and quick. It was pathetic to drop two to the hapless Orioles, and the Angels have too much to play for to just roll over and play dead. Playoffs begin in three weeks, boys. Wake up.

I went to bed with the score 1-0 but toward morning I tossed and turned, afraid of what I would find when I checked my computer today. Unfortunately, my fears were justified,

I understand they boys are exhausted. This schedule at the end of the season would have been tough anyway, but with all the postponed games being made up it is positively brutal. The mental errors being made speak volumes – this is a team that has excelled at defense this year – and they are really taking a toll. The bullpen is really becoming a concern – why isn’t Moe being used more? I would have liked to have seen him instead of Proctor on Thursday also. What are we saving the good china for? Christmas?

It is a real shame that we lost three games we could and should have won while Boston lost three. We could be up by six games on the loss side, a huge deficit to overcome, especially since Boston is also showing its fatigue. C’mon Yankees, time to dig deep and start playing like you’re not tired. There’ll be plenty of time to rest in November.

3. Barbara says:

these are some painful games. i too am fearful to check the score in the am. people are starting to freak in boston. it would be good to gain ground on the sox but at least while we are falling asleep they are losing too so we are still ok. i hate wasting good pitching and i’m glad he was able to pitch well.

The Angels absolutely have a lot to play for, NYL. And the Orioles played us tough because every team gets up to face the Yankees. Tailspins during a season are inevitable, but the games we’ve just lost have been so close, so within our grasp, that it’s painful. We just need to hit and we just need the bullpen to do its job. AAAARGH.

“Saving the good China.” HAHAHAHA, Audrey. That one made me laugh. Much appreciated. It’s an appropriate question, isn’t it? Mo had to be plenty rested. Where was he? At this point, I’d rather see one of the kid pitchers than Laffey or Ayala. Yes, the Yanks need to dig deep or they’ll find themselves sinking like quicksand.

No clue, John. Sorry.

Both teams are fading, Barbara, so I guess there’s comfort in that. But everybody needs to watch out for the Rays with all this sleeping.

5. John says:

Yankee magic number to win East 17

Sox loss column lead on Rays for wild card 5

Good day when both reduce.

6. new yawk lover says:

The “save the good china” remark had me guffawing here, too. Nice one , Audrey. I have no idea why, but Federer beign up a set and a break in the second on Djokovic has me feeling optimistic about the Yankees tonight. I hope the match is on in the visitors clubhouse in in anaheim, too. Whatever works, right?

Thanks for explaining, John. I take each game one at a time and can’t look ahead. Just too superstitious, I guess.

The Fed-Djok match is pretty amazing, NYL. It’s anybody’s game at this point (they’re into the fourth set).

Just a random note to anybody reading. As I sit here watching the US Open, there’s a band on my TV from the emergency weather service telling me there’s a severe thunderstorm warning. I live in Southern California! I just came from record rain in Connecticut! What in the world is happening?!

8. new yawk lover says:

I know, Jane, it’s two sets all now, and I’ve become a miserable handwringer here. Roger seemed to tire after the 2nd, and hasn’t yet gotten his second wind. Djokovic is a machine, he never tires. Here’s hoping, though.

It seems you need to work on your weather karma a bit, lol. Any sign of those locusts?

Oh, God. Federer just blew his service game in the fifth with the match on his racquet! I think Djokovic wrecked his concentration with that play to the crowd, interrupting Fed’s rhythm. Maddening.

10. new yawk lover says:

Ugh, I’m gutted he lost. His legs went away just that little bit, and that’s all it took. During the final game, I was just staring at Fed, and thinking back on just how many of the best matches I’ve ever seen involved him, and appreciating his greatness. He may have lost that one, but Fed is still so the f`cking man. We are not worthy.

Oh yeah, go Yankees.

11. Freya says:

Federer just lost and I suffered (well almost) the way I do when the Yankees lose. The only compensation and consolation will be when the Yankees win later.

His legs did go away, NYL. I kept yelling at the TV, “Move your feet!” He just looked out of gas and I’m sure the loss will eat at him because he had the match, he really did.

Me too, Freya. It’s much easier when there’s no rooting interest. I do hope the Yankees will make us feel better, although I’m pretty upset that A-Rod will be out for 3-4 days with the sore thumb (again), that Swisher is out with inflammation in the elbow and that Nunez will be playing right field. Should be interesting.

13. YankeeCase says:

JORGIE AT CATCHER!!!

(hope martin is ok!)

14. Leo says:

Case, I just got back from work. What happened to Martin!? I hope this isn’t a real serious injury. Lord knows we need him. And let’s thank the Rays for making the Sox sweat and creeping up on them in the Wild Card and helping us out (they just won again). Now we need to cash in and run away with the division.

15. YankeeCase says:

Martin took a foul tip off his thumb and was taken out before the bottom of the next inning. Montero was DH’ing so Girardi didn’t want to put CC into the lineup. So out came Posada, donning the tools of ignorance once more…!

But you probably already know all this by now! lol