Today’s Game Was A SlopFest

September 7th, 2011 by Jane Heller

boston.com

I was unpacking and doing laundry, but I had the TV on and kept popping in for a look. At first I felt sorry for the Yanks, given the muddy conditions and occasionally heavy rain, but then I just got irritated – from AJ’s failure to cover first base on a couple of plays to his wild pitches. He didn’t give up a ton of runs to the O’s, but shouldn’t he be better? And why do I keep expecting him to be better?

There were errors galore but it was nice to see Montero get another big hit. And for awhile, the relievers did a great job.

With the score tied at 4-4 in the 7th inning, I stopped all my domestic activities and sat down to watch. Big mistake. I started yelling at the TV each time we’d go down without scoring. And Girardi’s intentional walks got on my nerves. And why did he use a lot of the veterans late in the game but not Jeter? Ultimately, it was Eduardo Scissorhands’ error in the 11th that really pissed me off.

I know the boys can’t win every game. I get it. But this one felt winnable. Damn.

At least my clothes are clean.

Okay, I do feel sorry for the Yanks, who now have to play the Orioles again tomorrow in Baltimore. These teams must be seriously sick of each other.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Today’s Game Was A SlopFest”

1. John says:

Good teams that are tired should still beat bad teams that are tired.

You should have stayed a few more days. We’ve had another 3 inches of rain.

Boys are heading your way Friday. Do your thing, please!

2. Melissa says:

Yes, it is soggy here! It’s raining in Baltimore, but is supposed to let up this afternoon.

I forgive Eduardo. The infield was a total disaster with the diamond dust and tons of water. It’s a shame they had to play in those conditions. I’m just relieved no one got hurt.

We watched on encore, then headed to bed. I checked the Boston game on mlb at bat on my iPad (I LOVE THAT APP!!). Bottom of the 8th 8-6 Boston, bases loaded. Two guys got out. So I had to watch the animated game. Then Bard walked the next two batters. Tie game. Then a double, 11-8 Toronto.
    Bottom of the ninth, Boston scores two runs. 11-10. Two out. They send the runner from first and our dear Jose Molina guns him down. Yay Jays! I went to bed happier knowing we were still 2 1/2 up.

3. Jeff says:

Sure was sloppy alright. The previous marathon twilight game probably had a lot to do with it. I’d like to see football players start a game at 11pm and go home at 3am!

Good point, John. That’s why I was so frustrated; the game was completely winnable since the conditions were the same for both teams. And don’t think I wasn’t thrilled to get out of Dodge when I saw all that rain coming. The boys will love the weather here this weekend.

I’d forgive Eduardo if he didn’t make similar errors when the grounds crew didn’t have to keep doctoring the infield, Melissa. He’s great offensively and has speed and knows how to run the bases really well. But the glove? Not ready for prime time. Thank you for that play-by-play of the Boston game. I left things with their score at 8-6 in the eighth and had no idea how it ended up! Whew!

I’m sure fatigue played a big part in the sloppiness, Jeff. But don’t football players have to play in snow? That would be a deal breaker for me.

5. new yawk lover says:

As strong as our bullpen is this season, I was surprised to see the Yankees lose in a head to head with theirs, but, there it is. It was a frustrating two days for me, being focused on both Yankees baseball and the US Open, and both being so impacted by the rains in New York. At least the sun is shining in The City for tennis, and there’s a decent looking gap showing on radar for today’s day game in Baltimore. Here’s hoping they both happen, and that Montero continues doling out souvenirs to outfield spectators. What a beast he has been on this call up.

Slosh, slosh. I’m surprised they can play ANY beisbol anymore with the near-Biblical precip we’ve been enduring all up & down the eastern seaboard. Hope that it HAS stopped for awhile in “dantan Bal’mer”…my son has a rowhouse about a mile or two from Camden Yards, and he’s been dealing with a leaky roof for many months (now it’s getting serious; drywall is becoming wetwall). Current forecast says ‘foggy’ but at least no rain. Hope so…

As usual, no time to watch any game(s) last nite, more cleanup & chores for the X-treme Home Makeover, now in its 5th month (don’t ask). Clicked on the tube b4 bedtime, saw we’d lost (aaargh — if we don’t get the “W” today, that means they SPLIT the 8 games with the O’s — howcum those bums play Da Yanks as tuff as nails, but roll over like fat puppies against the Sawx? Aaargh…)! And, at the time, yes the Jays were down 8-6 in the 8th, looked like oh-crap, back to a game & a half. But this morning…! Thanx again to Melissa for the details. And oh, BTW, Jane, I like how you got that dirty-uggly slopfest picture from BOSTON.com –nice touch!!

I was surprised too, NYL. Noesi was great in his first inning, but probably doomed in his second. I hope you get to see some tennis today and that the Yanks play without having to slosh around and possibly get somebody injured.

Fog is fine, Dave. I like that forecast a lot better than occasional torrential rain. As for the slopfest pic, you should see what’s available when you search for mud wrestling. I picked a tame one. HAHA.

8. new yawk lover says:

It continues to rain hard and steady here thirty miles west of DC, but we’re into the 7th in Charm City(with a one run lead), and both the field and radar look good. Here’s hoping we get this one in!

That one-run lead was never going to hold up, NYL. Not with the anemic bats today.