Sweeping Is So Much Fun

September 4th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Photo: oldandinteresting.com

I’d gotten sort of used to losing the first game of a series and coming back and winning the rest, but I’ll take a nice clean sweep any day. Michael Kay kept saying how the Blue Jays are a “decent” team but the Yankees made them look not-so-decent.

Thanks to yet another gutsy outing by CC, plus power from Jeter, A-Rod and Swisher, a multi-hit day for Montero and clutch at bats all around, today’s game was very relaxing (except for the homer Soriano gave up to Bautista).

I was heartened to hear CC say in his post-game remarks that “this is the best place to play in baseball,” referring to Yankee Stadium. I always have the threat of his opting out in the back of my head, so I hope he meant what he said and doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

Jeter looked about as comfortable at the plate as he could get, didn’t he?

Great to see Tex and A-Rod get back into it, especially with Granderson getting a day off.

After the game Girardi made his announcement about the rotation – an announcement that nothing’s changing, if you can call that an announcement. Talk about an anti-climax. I guess he can’t bump AJ after the success in Boston. So all six starters will be playing musical chairs for awhile longer.

As for me, I’ll be in transit during tomorrow’s game and then flying back to California during Tuesday’s contest, so I’ll pick up the blog posts on Wednesday. (I can reply to comments via the handy WordPress app on my iPhone but haven’t figured out how to write posts from it.)

Have a great Labor Day, everyone, and I’ll see you Wednesday from the other coast!

Tags: , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Sweeping Is So Much Fun”

1. Juan says:

Great to see the Yankees sweeping a team they should beat in September. Nice to see production from pretty much everyone, and also a great start from our ace. I was relieved Grandy got a day off today, cause he’s been looking kinda tired since the Boston series. And CF is NOT an easy position. It’s good to rest up the potential AL MVP! Also, Texas pounded Boston today, so the Yanks lead is up to 1.5 games now!

Have a safe trip, Jane!

2. Melissa says:

Did anyone notice that Jeter was a little cranky with Kim Jones in the postgame interview?

3. Leo says:

Jane, sorry your vacation here wasn’t as nice as it should’ve been with Irene spoiling your fun and many of our other blog buddies. But at least you can say you were able to watch history made during a great game. Hope you have a safe trip back out to California and I really hope we can meet up at a game next year. I didn’t watch the game today as I was at work but very nice to hear we won and Boston lost so we gained more ground in the division. The rest of the schedule is going to be a grind but they need to win all the series against the non contending teams to allow a little room for error.

4. Barbara says:

i was in maine and had this device my dad gave me to track the game. i don’t have a phone that does this so i’ve had to wait to find out scores and now i use this device so i was in a museum and got to check. what fun. i love sweeps.
    thanks, melissa for the link. jeter seemed the most unpleasant i’ve seen him which is still just cranky and not nasty. perhaps he is human after all. i’ll take 5 rbis and cranky any day!
    i hope your travels go well, jane. we’ll take care of the games you can’t watch. i am excited because the yankees are on mlbnetwork so i can actually watch.

I was relieved that Grandy had the day off too, Juan. As I said after the first game in this series he looked like the walking dead with bags under his eyes. I hope he comes back refreshed and ready to win that MVP crown. Very happy about the result in Boston.

I laughed during Jeter’s interview, Melissa. I didn’t think he was cranky, just being a guy who hates not playing. When he kind of rolled his eyes and said, “Kim, Kim,” after she asked about the day off, you just knew he enjoyed ribbing her and she was expecting it. Did you see later on when Girardi was asked if Jeter’s big day was due to the day off yesterday? He said something like, “I don’t want to get in trouble with Jeter….”

Leo, the trip was really nice in spite of the hurricane and I look forward to coming back next summer if not sooner. (If somebody wants to give me tickets to a playoff game, I could be persuaded….) Yes, the rest of the schedule will be tough and, as you say, we need to beat the teams we should beat.

Cool that you were able to track the game up in Maine, Barbara. And thanks for watching out for the Yanks while I’m traveling. I know I’ll be leaving them in good hands!

6. YankeeCase says:

Another Yankee win, and another Boston loss. Looks like I made good on another promise, Jane. I said we’d have the AL East lead by the time your plane takes off. Even if Boston gains a game tomorrow, we’ll still have the lead when the game starts on Tuesday with your plane in the air. Yup, yup, yup… You can call me NostraYankeedamus… It’s a gift really.

In all seriousness though, the six man musical chair rotation is probably best for Freddy Garcia, Big Bart, AJ (cuz he can use an extra ‘mental health’ day every now and then), and even CC. I think he’s been worked to hard early on the last two seasons and this is why seems to be only slightly above average come the dog days of summer. Although I don’t think Girardi is actually giving him the extra day… So scratch that. What is Girardi thinking?!? Give the man an extra day, please! It helps! And speaking of days off, I do hope we get to see Granderson re-energized and go after that MVP he deserves. He just needs to get that average up a wee bit higher…

To be honest Jane, I think CC may opt out. But not because he doesn’t love it here. It’s all about the $$$. If he opts out, he’s got the Yankees in an inconvenient spot (i could have used so many other colorful metaphors there, lol!). He’ll be back in pinstripes next season. Mark it down. That’s another YankeeCase guarantee.

7. John says:

Heading out in an hour for todays game. Confidence is high. My Sox fan “friends” are waiting for my comments but I am laying low–for now.

Sec. 133 row 26 seats 9,10,11,12 Come say hi if you are there

Safe travels, Jane…good that you’re getting away b4 the NEXT Inundation of The East besets us. We look forward to an annual outdoor picnic/BBQ on Labor Day, but it looks & sounds like we’ll be treading water for the day & the week to come. Hope Da Boyz get their games in, and successfully. You know what they say about “the team that leads the league [okay, division] on Labor Day…” Of course, that chestnut was created back in the day when the World Series started before October — but you get my drift…and no matter what, guess who’s in first place after today is done??
    Hope that we keep CC. Jersey Bob, ever the optimist, is sure we won’t, but whaddya expect. He keeps beating me over the head about Ian Kennedy, also to the delight of Baseball Donnie, the Brewers/D’backs fan. It’s painful to acknowledge that out of our would-be Big 3 of Joba, Hughes, and Kennedy, well, “the man that got away…” But let’s not go there. Tomorrow is another day, Miz Scarlett, and maybe their best is yet to come (I could pack in 2 or 3 more cliches, but you’re packin’ to getaway yourself…!)

NostraYankeeDamus. You’re hilarious, YankeeCase, and maybe even a prophet. You predict and it happens! My plane takes off early afternoon, so I guess we will be in first place – still. Just do me a favor and keep it that way for when I land! I agree that CC will opt out – it’s so rare to see a player pass up more money – and that the Yankees will pay him whatever it takes for him to stay and he will. I just know they’ll need to save a few bucks for other starters since Colon and Garcia aren’t going to be the answer long term.

Have fun, John. Bring us a “W” and enjoy your Lobel’s sandwich.

Thanks, Dave. Sorry about the rain headed your way (I just hope it stays away from my airplane tomorrow). Maybe it won’t be the soaker that Irene was. It’s true about Ian Kennedy but I wonder how he’d be doing in the AL East. Hard to say.

10. Jeff says:

Always nice to sweep a “decent team”. And having 6 decent starters ain’t such a bad thing. Okay, 5 decent ones and one ace. Have fun and be safe during your travels!

So true, Jeff. Six decent starters is okay as long as the extra day’s rest doesn’t mess with anybody’s routine. Will wave to you tomorrow while I’m 35,000 feet over the flyover states!

12. Barbara says:

wacky and wild one today. it was fun to see jesus go yard twice. he looked sheepish in his first curtain call. it was cute. it was scary to see some of the pitching and i could barely watch mariano in the 9th. but it all came out well in the end!

Yes, what a game! Montero is starting to live up to the hype, and then some. But Mo is making us suffer through the ninth too often lately. I’m going to need blood pressure meds!

14. Melissa says:

That was a crazy game of baseball to be sure! Loved the fans reaction to Jesus – Cano hitting ANOTHER grand slam sort of got lost in the action.

And then . . . watching the animated version of the Red Sox/Blue Jays game on mlb.com on my iPad. A walk off win for the Jays! It’s much nicer to be 2 1/2 up!!! Nostrayankeedamus (aka YankeeCase aka Eddie) comes through!!!!

Blog fan John was at the game and I think in future years he’ll be able to brag that he saw Montero’s first two big league home runs.

I think Montero will NOT be a Shane Spencer.

Wacky and wild it was, Barbara. We were listening in the car early on en route to my mother’s, and Garcia was getting shelled. Then we arrived and everything changed. So nerve wracking in the ninth but a happy ending.

Montero was really impressive, Audrey. And he’s cute! I don’t know how that fact escaped me before! I think Mo just needed a shave today. Did you see his “beard?”

I screamed when Cano hit the slam, Melissa. It really turned the game around. And what a day for Montero. I kept wondering if Buck Showalter would just walk out of the Stadium and say, “I quit.” I love that we gained another game on Boston. NostraYankeeDamus was right!

18. Leo says:

Speaking of blood pressure meds, maybe you can share some with me, Audrey? Whenever Mo makes it “interesting” before getting a save, my heart races so fast only to breath a sigh of relief when he does get the save. Let’s not even discuss the blown saves when I will almost literally pass out. It’s alot worse than. But the win was great! It was a slugfest. Not a good performance by Freddy but he was saved by the offense today. Cano was the silent hero (well not too silent) as he got the huge grand slam to give us the original lead. However, Jesus Montero was still a great choice for player of the game during the postgame. His two homers also given us the lead and the second one scored the deciding run in our favor. Montero has that power to hit opposite field as he showed today and I believe he will be a bright star in the future. Hopefully the Yankees hold onto him. Let’s not forget about Proctor who pitched the majority of the innings for the pen today and only gave up one earned run.

19. John says:

It was a great day to be in the Bronx.

First I got to walk from the garage next to my least favorite announcer, “lack of Flair ity”. Instead of acknowledging him and suggesting he should leave gracefully I gave him the cold shoulder. I think he wondered why I said nothing to him as We walked together.

Great game to see as a fan. Action, action and more action but in slow motion at times. Tex’s HR landed 5 rows below us.

When Montero came up his 1st time I told my wife it would be nice if he hit his 1st HR today. When he did later I was elated. I told my wife he may double up next at bat. Ta da! I did get him on a ball year before last at his first spring training.

A-Rod is not running well.

Michael has got to try the Carl’s cheese steak sandwich next trip. Passed on Lobel’s and enjoyed it as much.

Mo gave us some heart burn in the ninth but alls well that ends well and with Sox loss no rolaids needed.

Ten minutes from parking garage to beyond GWB exit on the Deegan and clear sailing home to CT. A lot of tree damage on the Merrit. Home in less than an hour and a half. WOW.

Glad you mentioned Freddy, Leo. Lost in the slugfest was the fact that he had nothing. Marc Carig of the Star Ledger asked on twitter who was comfortable with him as the #2 starter in the playoffs and I said I’d rather have Nova – and this was before Garcia got shelled in the game. He’s been great for us but when he’s off he’s really off. I can’t even believe Proctor is a Yankee again so I’ll reserve judgment.

Great day is right, John. So much offense to see plus a silent walk with Flaherty. Lol. Glad you had fun and the drive was easy. Traffic getting down from CT to Westchester was heavy yesterday. I guess people were coming back from vacations.

You’re so right, Jane – Montero is cute! I’m trying to talk my younger daughter into him. If she can secure him and my older daughter can marry Joe Mauer my work will be done.

Hahaha, Audrey. I’m sitting at JFK wondering if my plane will take off on time and being nervous about the flight and your comment made me laugh. Thank you.

Safe travels, Jane. We’ll be at Logan tomorrow, sending off my younger daughter to London, where she will spend two semesters studying abroad. I guess marriage to Montero will have to wait a bit:).

Very exciting about your daughter studying in London, Audrey. When she comes back, however, and marries Montero, I want an invite to the wedding!

Absolutely, Jane!

27. jane says:

I agree on the Montero comments. So far he is living up to the hype and I’m loving it. What I loved most was the shy smile on his face when he was called from the dugout by the fans–what a doll! My daughter’s only 5 and anyone will have to pass her father’s grilling so I guess Jesus will be out of the picture. A close second was the excitement in the dugout after the 2nd dinger–did you see how happy Tex was? And yes, Mo did need a shave. Please go end the game in 10 pitches and let me breath without oxygen, please! I loved seeing Papelbon in the hot seat–just wish the Jays would’ve ended it in the 10th with the bases loaded. Oh well, we’re still up 2.5–YIPEE!

28. Melissa says:

He is adorable.

Audrey, my husband is English and his family and many friends all live there. They live about 1 1/2 hours from London, but if your daughter could ever use help, please let me know. I could have a “mom” on the scene for her!

Just landed in CA, Jane, and it seems the Red Sox are up 13-0 over the Jays in the 5th. Unless our game gets played in the rain (and we win it), our lead will shrink! Horrors.

30. Melissa says:

Glad your flight made it okay. I’m sure it will feel great to sleep in your own bed.

They are thinking they might play at 10 or 11! Sheesh.

I am feeling so bad for the Twins. Justin Morneau is STILL having symptoms from his concussion last year. He may DH some games. Mauer is going to play first base the rest of the season. I feel like the stars were misaligned over Minnesota this summer.

Thanks, Melissa. Long flight and now a long drive, so I’ll be thrilled to get home. Really tough season for the Twins and Mauer/Morneau – right from the beginning. If the Yanks do play late tonight, I’m not sure I’ll stay up for it. Still on EST.

32. Barbara says:

glad you made it back safely to the land of 10am games and night games that it is possible to stay up and watch.
    this morning was my usual nervously turn on the computer to see if we played and if we won.
    the september roll continues on!
    there will be some tired ballplayers this afternoon and i will be distracted at work as i follow the game!

I did the same thing, Barbara, since the last I checked before going to bed the game had not yet begun. I was pretty sure it would be because when else are they going to do it but it wasn’t going to be pretty. Fortunately, it was pretty enough for Yankee fans! Still 2.5 games in first place! And I’m so glad today’s game is in the afternoon since we’re leaving around 4 p.m. to travel to the airport (in Red Sox territory – shudder!)

Melissa, thank you so much for that generous offer. It will be a long three-plus months before she comes home for Christmas but it is going to be an incredible experience. We are also fortunate to have some family friends living in London right now so she has lots of substitute moms around if she needs them. The biggest drawback to living in England, though, will be the lack of Yankee baseball:)

34. Melissa says:

Audrey – mlb app? I know how your daughter feels. We lived in England ’80-’81 and though they didn’t show as much baseball on TV here then, I really missed it. I remember catching a glimpse of Guidry pitching in the brief clip of the World Series they showed.

I listened to the game using my trusty pillow speaker last night. Well, I listened to the first inning, fell asleep and woke up to Mo’s first out in the ninth at 2:15 or so. They didn’t do a post game. I’m just glad they came through the game with no one getting hurt. Let’s hope no one gets sick. Mo out on the mound in the cold rain at 2:15 AM is not a good situation.

Barbara, Audrey and Melissa, I got home last night in time for the game to start, turned it on while I was unpacking, saw Jorge’s homer and collapsed into bed. Our house had been tented for termites while we were gone so in addition to all our suitcases, we had to unwrap all the stuff we’d double-bagged for the fumigation. What a mess – and after waiting in the airport for three hours, sitting on the plane for six and driving home for two. So tired! I can only imagine how the players feel about today’s game, which, according to the forecast when we left, will also be rainy. Crazy but I’m so glad we won in spite of it all.

Glad you made it back, safe & sound, despite all hassles.
    The weather has definitely not improved back east. Rained on/off all day…got home, wife & neighbor are talking outside…oh by the way, power’s been out since 3pm (it’s now 6)…and it stayed out ’til after 9:30. Nothin’ to do (hey, it ain’t 1965 anymore!) but doze off listening to the Nats on local radio.
    Hope springs eternal for all. Stephen Strasburg is back…he threw 5 excellent, two-hit, 4-K innings vs. the Dodgers. As soon as he came out, the roof fell in (and it wasn’t even the rain). Listening to a last-place ballclub grasping at dreams for the future makes you appreciate Our Yanks all the more. After the deluge of Dodger runs, I was done. So glad Da Yanks maintained. Sleep well, and refresh us when you feel unpacked and unwrapped and up to the task…

I guess I got out just in time for more rain, Dave. So weird because we’re having a genuine heat wave here with serious winds at night – wildfire conditions. Really hoping I didn’t walk back into another disaster. Glad you had the Nats and Strasburg to keep the hope alive in DC.

38. Barbara says:

i know they are tired but what kind of lineup is this?????

39. Barbara says:

the old aj is back. bummer. i was hoping for the new improved version.

Crazy, crazy game, Barbara. I’ve been taking looks while trying to organize my house and it’s been wild in every sense. Now we’re tied. Nail biting time.