Such A Heartbreaker

August 23rd, 2011 by Jane Heller

I spent most of tonight’s series opener against the A’s wondering why the Yankees kept stranding runners. It was frustrating, to say the least. Jeter was getting hit after hit (congrats to him on tying Carew) and McCarthy was shutting the door over and over. Colon wasn’t horrible by any means, but he’s been giving up homers since the All-Star break and that’s not a good sign. I think he needs one of these.

Not that he got much help from the offense. But the bats did wake up and we rallied, which only made this loss more painful. Ugh. I love when there’s a chance we’ll come back in a game, but I hate when we don’t come all the way back. It’s such a tease. And I was really in the mood for pie; it would have given AJ something positive to do.

Should Jeter have bunted in the ninth? The guy’s been on fire. To me the bunt took the bat out of his hands, not to mention that it gave the A’s an out. But whatever. We lost. Boston won. We’re tied again.

And what’s this about A-Rod and his thumb? I’m glad his x-rays were negative, but come on! Enough with the injuries, Al.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Such A Heartbreaker”

1. Ruth says:

I’ve got heartburn….I’m going to bed.

2. YankeeCase says:

Sigh, to come so close….

There’s only one thing left to say, Jane. And I think you already know what it is…

Very frustrating game to watch. The Yankees just couldn’t sustain a rally. I am really disgusted with Tex. As our number three guy he really ought to be coming through for us more often.

Another one of these series that begins with a loss and ends with two wins, I hope. They mentioned the Yankees’ record in this situation last night but I didn’t write it down and don’t remember the numbers. Suffice it to say our observations regarding come-from-behind series wins were confirmed – they do it most of the time. They also mentioned how few walk-off wins we’ve had this year but that should be looked at as a positive, I guess – it means we’re usually leading in the ninth. When we are behind, though, we can’t seem to get in front.

4. Barbara says:

i was glad i wasn’t at the game last night. lead off double didn’t score, offense did nothing, pitching wasn’t good and then a giant tease. i couldn’t have handled it. i hope the game you go to and tonight as lots better.

I just felt empty, Ruth – as if I’d gotten all excited for nothing.

I do know what it is, YankeeCase: ACK!

Tex was frustrating last night, Audrey, but he’s driven in a lot of runs so I can’t fault him too much. Yes, I guess the Yanks are determined to drop another series opener and have to come back and win the next two. I refuse to entertain the possibility that we’ll lose a series to the A’s.

Poor Harold, Barbara. I’m sorry he didn’t get to see a win, although it must have been exciting if he stayed till the end. It really did seem as if we’d stage a comeback.

6. Jeff says:

I want whatever Jeter has been drinking. Man. What a turnaround after that injury rehab! Also, I think AJ has other, more productive things to be worrying about than pie. I think he could use one, but he’s gotta deliver a decent performance first!

I want what Jeter’s having too, Jeff. That injury was the best thing that ever happened to him. (Well, maybe not the best thing, but you get my drift.) Maybe we should all go to the minors and get rejuvenated.

8. Jeff says:

I would LOVE to go to the minors! Count me in!

Oh, goody…thanx, Jeff, for giving me something pleasant to opine on, and not that painful thing from last nite (when I saw the early 6-0 score, I figured it’s either oh no, Jane meant that A.J. was pitching tonite, or OH NO — Bart’s blowing up again. Neither one good, so it’s off to bed. Then, in the morning…oh, my. However, that’s the punishment that Me Of Little Faith must endure…)!

Goin’ to the minors. It really IS one of the true Joys Of Summer. In these environs, we’re treated to a wealth of choices: just up the hi’way in Frederick are the Frederick Keys, an O’s Class A ballclub. Nice little ballpark, and VERY convenient off the road. On the other side of town is the Bowie BaySox, the O’s Class AA team — decent ballpark, but better players, may see future (or past) big-leaguers. Down the road in northern Va., there’s the Potomac Nationals, the Nats’ A ballclub…need to make a pilgrimage someday. It can be just so delightful, with a smaller (cheaper) ballpark, tasty concessions, corny/goofy promotions — the way beisbol was, and really was meant to be. Much as I love the intensity of the Yanks and their pennant races, it’s always great to get back in touch with my Inner Beisbol Child. May all of you have the chance to take advantage of it, somewhere (I still recall going to see the Waterbury Indians one summer, up in CT — against the Albany Yankees — beaucoup fun for ALL)…!

Jeff and Dave, I agree about the minors. I have a championship team in Santa Barbara in the Independent League and yet I’ve never been to a single game. I’m ashamed of myself!

11. Melissa says:

We have a Rays class A team by us. It’s great to go to games. A few years ago we were sitting there and the full moon rose and I thought I was almost as close to heaven on earth as I could be.