What Are The Chances?

August 18th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Two consecutive nights. Two disputed home run calls. The difference was that tonight’s shot by Morneau elicited a quick response from Girardi, who bounced out of the dugout to ask the umps to review the play. The other difference is that the correct call was made after the review and the homer was nullified. Gardenhire was not amused.

Silly of him to get tossed in the first inning, but whatever.

Despite getting the win, CC is worrying me. He had periods tonight when he settled down, but he was getting hit hard. Coming off his last two surprisingly bad outings, he was not inspiring confidence the way he usually does. If there’s something off with his mechanics, I really wish he and Rothschild would figure out what it is. If he’s hurt (please no), I hope he tells somebody and gets it fixed.

I enjoyed the home run derby by Jones, Tex and Swisher, and Jeter and Granderson continued to impress at the plate. If Grandy isn’t a solid choice for MVP, I don’t know who is.

Nunez committed another error, which is not exactly breaking news. (On twitter his nickname is NunEEEEE.) While I appreciate his bat and his speed, I’m really looking forward to A-Rod at third.

The Twins have to wonder what they need to do to beat the Yankees. I hope they keep wondering throughout this series.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “What Are The Chances?”

1. Jessica says:

CC has been worrisome these past three starts, Jane. Although he pulled through tonight, his command was all over the place. Like you said, I hope he’s not hurt.
    Is it just me or have announcers from other networks been particularly irritating lately? I don’t know if you caught it but the Twin’s broadcast was full of errors, like mentioning that Jeter’s 3000th hit happened a couple of weeks ago and calling Nuñez, “Nuñoz” a few times and saying that he was a 23-year-old from Puerto Rico. Huh?
    That’s great that you’re going to Yankee Stadium! I’d love to go one day, I know it’s gorgeous. To get you in the spirit, I saw this yesterday and just had to share it with you! It’s a video of a little girl singing “It’s a Yankee Life” to the tune of “It’s a Hard Knock Life”. She is adorable and the lyrics are so clever! Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1r2wdA6IWU
    I hope you’re having fun in CT! Take care and until next time!

Yes, that was crazy to start the game with yet another blown homerun call – just glad this one was disputed and then reversed. No doubt CC has been worrisome of late. Whatever is bothering him needs to be taken care of quickly!

The Twins’ problems have extended far beyond the Yankees this year. I feel bad for them, especially Mauer, who is starting to get booed (nothing like a big contract to bring out the hostility). Since David Robertson is married I have settled on Mauer for my future son-in-law so I want him to do well (except against the Yankees, of course). It has to be a shock to go from winning your division one year to languishing near the bottom the next. They have had so many health issues – it was crazy how empty their bench was last night! I wish them well so we can get back to beating them when they are at the top rather than when they are near the bottom.

It was funny to hear before the game that Target Field is not a great place for HRs and then come up with three. But even more fun was to hear John Sterling talk about how a team playing at Target needs to move runners in other ways, which, as he said, the Yanks have done this year. I couldn’t hep but smile over all the angst back in April and May that all we could do was hit homeruns. I guess we’re more well-rounded than we thought!

Jane and everyone planning to be at the August 25 game, Donna and I got tickets yesterday for section 203. Donna really didn’t want to spend $80 or more for a seat so we are sitting with the Bleacher Creatures, which should be quite an experience. Are there any plans to meet up before the game? Monument Park would make a nice gathering spot.

Jessica, thanks for the youtube link. How adorable! Nice to see kids being raise right.

3. John says:

Just a bit of advice. There will be plenty of great lower level seats on Stubhub at great prices that you can download the day before or even the day of the game on the 25th or any date for that matter.

Arrgh! I wish I’d known that!

Jessica, I was spared the Twins’ announcers last night as I’ve been getting YES and MY9 here in CT. I’ll miss having to watch the opposing team’s announcers when I’m back in CA. No excuse for mispronouncing players’ names and getting info wrong, but even the national guys do it. Have you heard Bobby Valentine say, “Texshera” on ESPN? Thanks so much for that video of the girl singing! I don’t know how I missed it before. If I had a daughter I’d want her to be singing about the Yankees. So cute.

I feel sad for Mauer too, Audrey. It’s not hard enough that he’s stuck playing right field last night. His own fans have to boo him too? What a disgrace on the part of those “fans.” I don’t care how much he’s making with that new contract. He could have gone to other teams and yet he stayed in his hometown to play for the Twins. Ugh. It’ll be such fun for you sitting with the Creatures on the 25th. I’ve sat there and in the expensive seats and the fans are much more energized where you’ll be. I haven’t thought about a place for us to meet but Monument Park would be great if there’s no line. Maybe there or outside the stadium in the great hall somewhere? Or by the Jeter statue?

You’re right, John. There are always tickets at the last minute. I just never go that route because I like the piece of mind of knowing where I’m sitting in advance. I never fly standby either!

6. Margaret says:

I saw the beginning of last nights game and then the hail began and I lost my satellite signal. Looked like ice cubes falling from the sky. Wild night of weather. Then the game came back on and then I lost the signal again. This went on and on. I got fed up when it didn’t appear to be coming back so I went to bed and read. I am glad to see this morning that we won because CC was scaring me. I so hope he isn’t hurt. This is so unusual and very unsettling to me….and it’s all about me right?

We had a wild night of weather too, Peg. No hail but there was a red band at the bottom of the TV constantly telling us we were under a severe weather watch. The thunder and lightning were crazy, but we never lost power. Mother Nature has an active weekend planned, I hear.

8. Kathleen says:

Jane,
    I don’t think I’ve seen Girardi move so fast as when Mauer’s hit was called a HR! I guess he didn’t have to learn that lesson twice!
    I also hope that CC is fine. He seems to have had the wind knocked out of him with that last Red Sox loss. I really liked your tweet where, when he appeared to have settled down, you wondered about Captain Crunch, warm milk and Xanax!! If he keeps pitching like this, we will all need Xanax!
    Here’s to our HR hitters, and especially to our so-called “washed up” Captain. We love you Jeter!
    Go Yankees!!

9. Uncle Mike says:

CC pitched well enough to win on the night. Focus on that. Also, as many complaints as Yankee Fans have of our announcers, it drove me nuts when Mutts announcer Gary Cohen would call the greatest second baseman their pathetic franchise has ever had “Edgardo Al-FAWN-so.” It can even be heard on the official 2000 World Series highlight film. (I do enjoy talking about the 2000 World Series, as it basically destroyed the Mets’ reason to exist.)

No, Girardi didn’t want to get fooled twice, Kathleen. He was right on top of last night’s foul ball and what a relief that it WAS foul. LOL on my tweet about CC. He ended up with sort of a roller coaster game but at least he got the win. I love our home run hitters too. May they keep it up.

I agree about the announcers, Uncle Mike. When you live outside of the NY area and often get the announcers of opposing teams, you appreciate our guys even though they can be annoying. So many mispronunciations of names.