AJ Finally Gets An August Win

August 15th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I know. He looks like he’s saying, “I won a game? Seriously?” And if he were my husband, I’d make him do something about the hair. But whatever. He got the “W” – thanks, in part, to Girardi for pulling him before he could blow the lead yet again.

He gave up a lot of ground balls, many of them hits, and he had his usual bad inning. The good news is that the bad inning wasn’t that bad (if you don’t count walking in a run). I guess that’s progress.

Nice pickoff by Boone Logan and another by the tag team of Martin and Cano. Excellent offensive display by the Captain. And Posada continues to show signs of life.

I like it a whole lot better when we take a series opener than when we don’t.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “AJ Finally Gets An August Win”

1. Rachel says:

I know I’m supposed to be happy about AJ’s start, but I can’t help thinking that if this was a better team, we would not have won. I kind of wish AJ hadn’t won until he pitched really really well… because I’m afraid this means he’s now even more stuck in the rotation than he was before. But hopefully this can be a confidence booster that makes him pitch well throughout all of his innings.

2. YankeeCase says:

Looks like that 4-6-3 double play in the fifth might’ve been the key play in the win for AJ. And thank God Girardi wised up and took him out in the next inning before imploding. He has a tendency to keep AJ in there too long and before you know it, it’s too late. Forget about massaging his ego with a complete inning, get him a win with help from this great bullpen!

Jeter is now hitting .283 and hopefully he can get up to .300 before the season comes to an end. Cano continues to hover around that .300 mark as well. I really wish Tex and Granderson would get their averages up a bit, but even then, the offense is clicking. I can’t wait to get A-Rod back, even though that may cause some trouble with the lineup. I say plug him in at the number five spot. That basically keeps the same lineup, only dropping Cano to sixth. And that’s not a bad number six hitter. I’m sure neither would take it as a slight, seeing how great the top of the order is hitting now. It’s just what would be best for the team. Dropping Gardner down to ninth really isn’t fair, and dropping Jeter down in the order wouldn’t make sense. Speaking of which, funny how we don’t hear any noise to drop him down in the lineup anymore, huh…? Another ‘good problem’ for Girardi to have.

3. new yawk lover says:

hmm, let me think about this – a win in a Burnett start (one he even gets to keep), Jeter and Posada heating up nicely at the plate, a win in mid August that gives us a share of first place at the top of the home stretch of the regular season? – yeah I’ll take it

I think the Royals are a better team than most give them credit for, Rachel. They can hit and they sure do like to run. I think the running game weighs on a pitcher, so the fact that AJ didn’t crack while they were trying to steal was a good thing. And he was going to be in the rotation one way or another. After the impassioned defense of him, Cashman was never planning to put him in the pen.

That double play was huge, YankeeCase. And Girardi did take AJ out just in the nick of time, especially since a lefty was coming up and it was the perfect time for Logan. Jeter really is driving the ball again, which is great to see. I guess the experiment with his new stride that he and Kevin Long were working on really didn’t gel and he needed to get back to basics while he was on the DL. Interesting, huh? I agree about putting A-Rod fifth when he comes back and keeping the previous four hitters just as they’ve been. But I bet Girardi will mess with it.

Yeah, NYL, it was a good night for all the reasons you gave. I’ll take it too.

5. Melissa says:

I agree about his haircut Jane. Apparently he did it to have the same haircut as his son. Hello, AJ, you are a grown man and should try to look like one.

The double play was huge and it wasn’t routine. Cano was amazing.

This start wasn’t really any different than AJ’s others. I’ve tried to support the guy and I know he wants to win, but I am feeling really frustrated by him. Our #2 starter needs to be able to pitch more than 5 innings.

Jeter does look great. In the HBO special they showed him with a hitting coach in Tampa and I think that guy saw something in his swing and helped him find his groove. He looks like the Jeter of old.

I’m off to enemy territory for a few days (Vt. and Me. – hope it doesn’t rain the whole time!) I’m going to try to get to the game on Aug. 25. Just have to work on some details.

6. Jeff says:

That has to be the scariest AJ picture in existence, Jane. Kudos to you for finding it! He looks like he’s possessed or something. Yikes!

I do remember now that Jeter was working with that hitting coach in Tampa, Melissa. Thanks for jogging my memory about that. The guy must have helped him because he looks great right now. I hope it doesn’t rain for your trip. It’s pretty dreary in CT right now, but it’s supposed to clear up (temporarily) tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I’ll see you on 8/25.

Somebody on twitter posted the pic last night, Jeff, so I can’t take credit for finding it. It was right there on my screen!

8. Barbara says:

well that was a nice way to return to civilization. i’ve been in california–san fran and then hiking in kings canyon and yosemite for two weeks. and i return to aj really getting a win and the yankees in first place. in kings canyon i had no access to a newspaper or phone or anything and the yankees were playing the sox. i just imagined on my favorite hike ever that the yankees won. when we got out of the woods and i found out that mariano blew the save, it almost ruined my birthday. i had a hard time getting over it and yet here we are tied for first. i thought the red sox were better than us this year. they seem to lose to the poorer teams. so now i will read the past weeks worth of blogs. when i did have phone access my dad was willing to provide me with the service of giving me scores.
    i love california and i especially love that i can know all of the scores before i go to sleep. i still can’t believe colon and garcia have done so well this year. i am thinking of sending garcia some plastic utensils, just in case he is tempted to cut again. i am liking nova and hopeful for hughes. i am worried for mariano and aj. i can’t believe i just put them in the same sentence. i am curious to see the statue they gave jeter.
    sorry to go on so long but i’ve been travelling with a red sox fan who refuses to talk baseball or hear about games or scores the whole trip!

Welcome back, Barbara. Glad you had fun in CA. It’s nice having the games all wrapped up before the night’s over in Pacific Time, right? Yes, you missed some excitement with Mo and CC, but don’t worry about either of them. Mo was back to his old self last night. And, as you point out, we’re nose-to-nose with the Red Sox again. They may be good but they can’t seem to shake us. And do send Garcia some plastic utensils – or at least some latex gloves to use while he’s chopping onions or whatever he was doing (it’s sounding awfully mysterious).

10. Ruth says:

Ditto Jeff. I’m going to have even more AJ nightmares now…makes the bologna fingers picture seem peaceful….

HAHA, Ruth. Didn’t mean to freak you out with either pic!