Dumb And Dumber

August 9th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I only wish I meant the above movie characters.

Sadly, I’m talking about two of the Yankees in tonight’s series opener against the Angels.

AJ may have become a platinum blonde, but it didn’t change anything. He had his usual flashes of brilliance only to have that one bad inning that too often sends him to the showers (with a lack of run support from his teammates, I should add). He seems incapable of hanging onto a lead, however slim.

But the Yankees clawed their way back to tie the game, with Cory Wade and Dave Robertson delivering more great pen work.

And then Mo. The horror.

No, I’m not calling him dumb. Never. He’s going through his usual rough patch. It happens every August, doesn’t it? I just hope he’s not hurt.

The dumb one was Granderson. Yes, I know. He put us on the board with his homer, but with Tex up in the bottom of the ninth he gets picked off? Seriously? Way to kill a rally and lose a ballgame.

Too bad this one didn’t get rained out. Ugh.

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Dumb And Dumber”

1. new yawk lover says:

This is the first time that I recall Granderson costing us a win, both with the choice to try tp steal in that situation, and getting burned by playing such a shallow center field. For all his good deeds, and the ones to come, he gets a pass from me tonight, just like Mo, for similar reasons. When guys that reliable and that critical to our success choke on the same night, it just ain’t gonna end well. I can’t scapegpat AJ for this one-he didn’t win it, but he didn’t lose it either.

I’ll admit I’m starting to feel a little scared. The Yankees have not been playing well and losing games they should be winning. Grandy has done so much for us it”s hard to be mad at him but really? With Tex, who had been flirting with the bleachers all night, at the plate and a pitcher on the mound who was obviously gunnning for you? And what is it with former Yankees and their ability to play like superstars whenever they play us? Bobby Abreu entered the game with four home runs and left with six – what?

I would avoid tonight’s game were it not that Nova is pitching. I just love him and have more confidence in him right now than just about anyone else to pull us out of this very discouraging slump.

Granderson’s been carrying the team, NYL. Just a terrific season for him. But last night’s game-ending out was a bonehead move. The Angels pitcher kept faking a throw, over and over, and Tex was standing at the plate with a bat in his hand. You cannot get picked off at that point unless you’re absolutely sure you can steal the base. But oh well. As for AJ, he pitched great for awhile. The problem for him has and continues to be that he lets one bad pitch or one walk or one something spiral out of control. In last night’s case, he was pitching to a guy batting .180 when he let the lead get away.

I noticed that too about our ex-Yankees, Audrey. Whether it’s Matsui or Damon or Abreu, they come back to haunt us even when they’re having less-than-stellar seasons. It’s almost a guarantee at this point. Let’s hope Nova continues to charm us tonight or we’ll slip further behind Boston.

4. Jeff says:

JANE! Here I thought you’d quit blogging. Whenver I go to your blog homepage, I see the “Double the Fun” post from way back when so I thought you hadn’t updated.

Anyway, you gotta be happy with the way the Yanks are playing despite this lil bump. I saw them destroy the White Sox that one night last week. It was a humbling sight. AND I got close to Jeet who had 5 hits AGAIN that night. It was pretty cool.

Weird, Jeff. Do you think it was because you didn’t refresh your page? No idea why the blog didn’t update for you. But yeah, the Yankees had a great run against the White Sox. So you were there? Couldn’t have been fun for you homies, but it was fun for us! And yes, Jeter had another five-hit night. He had a big hit last night too, but….well, you know the rest.

6. Uncle Mike says:

And tonight, we got Nova pitching against — the proverbial pitcher we’ve never seen before. The Angels just called this guy up from Double-A. He’s done very well there, but he’s never so much as thrown a pitch in Triple-A, and he’s going into Yankee Stadium? (Maybe the new one, but it’s still got a short porch.) Good thing this game isn’t on Fox: Fox + pitcher we’ve never seen before = bad combination.

Few things upset me more than a Yankee loss. One of those that do is CAPTCHA.

Uh-ohh. Jane, you’re right on every count…AJ loses it FAST…Grandy pulled a bonehead move (or two)…every ex-Yank wants a piece of us (they must drool at getting back to The Jet Stream in those familiar-friendly confines), and Mo has Those August Daze. But right now, esp. with No Help As Usual from elsewhere, it all compounds. At Mo’s age, however, you’re always just a li’l bit mo’ worried, so to speak. But we must have faith…
    And Uncle Mike is right on cue — the dreaded “PWNSB.” Why is it that they’re ALWAYS so baffled by an unfamiliar pitcher?? I know, I know…repetition is essential to beisbol, and neither Ted Willams nor Joe D. nor who-knows-how many superstars didn’t do much in postseason ’cause they didn’t know the pitchers. But COME ON…Double A, and on the road, in OUR house? A few players should be PO’d enuf to STOP this…

You’re so right about pitchers we’ve never seen before, Uncle Mike. But maybe the kid will be so nervous he’ll be wild and all our hitters will have to do is stand there and take walks!

The only thing that worries me (a little bit) about Mo, Dave, is that he doesn’t seem to get as many swings and misses lately. Could totally be my imagination, but I think hitters are making better contact. I hope I’m wrong. See my comment to Uncle Mike about tonight’s Angels pitcher. Maybe he’ll be a deer in the headlights.

10. Kristen says:

Just reading some of the recent comments…I am nervous about the Garrett Richards start today as well, but from the other side of things, LOL. I haven’t seem him pitch since Spring Training and none of our pitchers looked good yet at that point. I just wanted to share (because I wouldn’t know such details about Yankee pitching) that bringing Richards up isn’t trying to be tricky. Without him, the Angels only have a three man rotation right now. Weaver is suspended until Saturday and Pineiro was just demoted to the bullpen until that sinker ball of his starts sinking again and looking less like a big fat meatball – which quite frankly has me questioning him being in the bullpen too, but that silly Scioscia forgot to ask my opinion on the subject. ;)

I guess the overall pitching situation for several teams, including the Angels, is much stronger in AA right now than AAA. Chatwood, our #5 starter whom you will see tomorrow, was called up directly from AA in April when Kaz “went on the DL” and has been pretty impressive for a 21 year old kid, and a decent #5. I think the Angels (and I!) are hoping lightening will strike twice. :)

I was following Wang’s game last night, Melissa, and was really hoping he’d pitch a no-hitter. It was so exciting for awhile there, but even without the no-no he was impressive. Must have given him quite a confidence boost.

I knew about Weaver and Pinero not being able to start, Kristen, and I was also happy the Yankees wouldn’t be facing Santana in this series. But the rookie could be just as tough! We’ll know in a couple of hours.

13. mike fierman says:

it was the first time i’ve ever been mad at Mariano before. i almost feel ashamed. yet we fans feel free to bash everyone else; but he is hallowed ground. I wonder what it is about him that SO differentiates him from all the rest.

14. new yawk lover says:

Granderson’s game ending gaffe was pure bonehead, no doubt. What’s even more worrisome is the fact he had the green light to make the move, something that Girardi openly admitted to in post game interviews. Not good.

You were mad at Mo, Mike? I could never be – no matter what he does. Not after all he’s meant to the organization and to me. He’s my favorite player, through thick and thin. Besides, he may have lost a little velocity and all the other things that have been said in the past 24 hours, but I’d still take him over any closer out there, young or old.

No, not good, NYL. But he sure made a good move in the first inning tonight. He had two ducks on the pond and did what he was supposed to do. 3-0 at the moment.