Hughes, Masterson And Strudel

July 6th, 2011 by Jane Heller

(courtesy: sheknows.com)

That’s what I call Asdrubal Cabrera. He’s Strudel to me, what can I say? He fielded some amazing plays in tonight’s loss to Cleveland and he hurt the Yanks.

But Masterson hurt more. He made even our best hitters look foolish. Well, except Jeter, who is almost guaranteed to reach his milestone against the Rays this weekend – maybe even as soon as tomorrow night.

Hughes. Sigh. I know I’m supposed to be excited by his outing. He did settle down after giving up those two runs in the first and he did have improved velocity and strength and he certainly showed promise after his long layoff. But he also hit a couple of batters and couldn’t get any swings and misses and threw the ball right down the middle more often than not. Why do I have the sinking feeling that he’s still not the pitcher he was touted to be? I hope I’m wrong, I really do.

Our bullpen didn’t exactly inspire confidence either. We might have staged a comeback if not for MEAT TRAY. Why did Cashman re-sign this guy? What’s next? The return of Luis Vizcaino? Oh, wait. He’s serving a 50-game suspension for using ‘roids. Maybe Chris Britton is available. (Sarcasm is unbecoming, I know. I can’t help myself.)

So we lost the series. And tomorrow I have to go to L.A. for a meeting and will be on my way home, sitting in traffic on the 101 freeway, when the action starts at 4 pm here. I’ll record the game so I’ll have it in case Jeter does his thing, but while I’m in the car I’ll have this.

(courtesy: cnet.com)

Michael’s driving, so I won’t crash into anybody while I watch. Is the MLB At Bat app one of the best inventions ever or what?

Oh. I guess I should be paying attention to the Clemens trial that’s just getting underway. They’re doing jury selection. If The Rocket’s lucky, maybe he’ll get the Casey Anthony crew.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Hughes, Masterson And Strudel”

1. new yawk lover says:

Hughes got off to a sloppy start, but during the balance of his five innings, almost 90 pitches, he scattered the hits enough to keep them from scoring any more runs. He wasn’t sensational, but it was far from a disaster, either. Chances are good that he’d have only given up one run, were it not for Martin’s errant throw to third that gifted them the second run. As for the pen, I think we miss Joba pretty badly on nights like this.

Masterson absolutely owned the Yankees tonight, and Cleveland played much more like the division leader that they are than the Yankees did. Across the board. Categorically.

2. Margaret says:

If The Rocket’s lucky, maybe he’ll get the Casey Anthony crew.

I LOVE IT!!! MADE ME CHOKE ON MY COFFEE!

It was my daughter’s birthday and we started a Harry Potter movie after the sixth inning. The Yankees’ bats could have used a little help from Dumbledore. If the Yankees couldn’t win this series at least Harry won the Tri-wizards’ tournament.

4. John says:

Fact is Hughes got hit hard. Very few bleeders. A real yucker game. At least “less than Flair—ity” wasn’t there.

Negitive effect on my rehab yesterday.

5. Rachel says:

The MLB At Bat app IS the best thing ever. I love listening to John Sterling as I’m traveling around the city. I can’t take advantage of the video b/c I’m pretty sure most of the games are blacked out since I’m in the city. But John definitely makes up for that.

Also, I hate Mitre and I miss Nova. I bet AJ does too. I wonder if Nova’s absence is going to affect AJ’s fragile psyche?

6. Melissa says:

Interesting thought about AJ and Nova Rachel.

“Silence the Bat” Masterson threw some amazing pitches. We groaned when Joe brought in Logan and groaned even louder when Mitre came in.

When Martin went out to talk to him, I said “Maybe Martin is just going to slap his face.” My husband thought Martin should kick him in the shins so he’d have to come out of the game injured. Then Rothschild went out and I made up a profanity-laced dialogue he was having with Mitre. It began with “You can’t f#%@ing pitch.” And ended with “You really stink, asshole.” Added a little amusement to a depressing inning.

I was pleased to see the Yankees put some runs on the board in the ninth.

I hope Jeter gets three hits tonight. That way the hoopla is over for him and we are going to someone’s house for dinner on Friday. Thank goodness for DVR!

7. Paul says:

You need to spend a bit of time on Michael Kay, Jane. According to Mr. Yankee Expert, George Steinbrenner bought the club in 1974. Um…no, it was 1973. Should be common knowledge.
    Hughes wasn’t impressive. He was serviceable. I’d be worried too.

No, Hughes wasn’t a disaster by any means, NYL, and he did limit the run damage. That wasn’t the point of my concern about him. His pitches didn’t have any real teeth and that’s been his problem all along. He has no real “out” pitch and labors to get outs. He’s rusty so it’s too early to judge. I’m just saying the new model reminded me of the old model.

HAHA, Peg. Just hope your coffee didn’t go up your nose. I hate when that happens.

You watched a Harry Potter movie instead of the Yankees, Audrey? What a good mother you are. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Don’t let last night’s game interfere with your rehab, John. Look at the big picture, which is you going to YS on Labor Day.

I bet AJ does miss Nova, Rachel. I forgot about their little friendship. Hm. Your video gets blacked out on your At Bat app? That’s criminal!

Melissa, you uttered profanities during Mitre’s appearance? Wish I’d been there to hear it. Haha. I’d love to see Jeter end the hoopla so he can get back to the everyday business of winning games, but couldn’t he please wait until Friday when I’ll actually be home and watching the game live on my TV, especially since you’re okay with the DVR scenario????

You care more about what Kay says than I do, Paul. You spend time on him. And yes, Hughes was serviceable. That’s just the word for it.

Hmmm. Disappointing. Altho’ it was good to see that Not-So-Hughes isn’t totally shot, at least not yet. Troubling signs, however, like this 3-outa-4 losing skid, and the AL East “lead” shaved down to a half a game (thanx for almost nothing, Jays…). Hmmm.
    Melissa…love that reference to “Silence the Bat”…!! Over the heads of the many bloggers, um, shall we say “not of a certain age,” — but as a fan of the ol’ Westerns, including Chuck “Rifleman” Connors, who actually once played for the Cubs(!)…that was fun…!!
    She-Fan, you’ll be interested(?) to know that to my surprise/delight, we DO get the MLB Network at home now. While iPads and iPods and iMeMine devices are still out of my neanderthal range, this isn’t. Just in time to suffer thru the Cleveland series. Son #1 discovered it at the high end of the HDTV stations…methinx we got it as a throw-in with a new improved cable package…works for me!!
    Between the Clemens trial and the latest Surprising Win Streak by our local boys, the G-Nats, beisbol is a hot topic again in D.C. Went to the July 4th game, which they “stole” from the Cubbies, and tomorrow nite I’m there again for Nats-Rockies, weather permitting. NOTHIN’ like winning beisbol in the summertime!!

Yeah, I don’t like that our lead was shaved, Dave. Thanks for nothing, Blue Jays, is right. Congrats on getting the MLB Network! They don’t show most Yankees games, obviously, but you’ll get a few here and there and certainly the wrap-ups. Sounds like your July 4th was fun. Enjoy tomorrow night.

11. Kathleen says:

I too miss Nova. Bet Cashman wishes he hadn’t sent him down so soon. Why couldn’t we have a six man rotation, with the exception that somehow CC and AJ keep their five day intervals. I know someone has to go away (I’m sure we have other candidates).
    Love the comment about the Casey Anthony jury. I have such mixed feelings about the whole Clemens thing. Let’s hope the truth ACTUALLY comes out in this case!

12. new yawk lover says:

Hang in there with the knee and the PT, John. Gutting out the tough days is what gets us to the better ones (as if there was a choice, right). Patience, persistence and a short memory are ones best friends during post op rehab.

Hughes was far from his sharpest self, and was indeed getting hit more than he does when he is. He needs to regain confidence in his shoulder, and that isn’t an instantaneous process, either. If a guy can pitch five innings in the bigs, against an AL division leading team, only give up two runs, then steady up like he did, he’s done something positive. Unsteady starts seem to be the rule, not the exception in many of our games so far this year. The whole scenario would have looked much brighter if the Yanks had provided him some run support, as opposed to being shut down like they were. I’m still hopeful that he’s going to see it through.

13. dj says:

I would say Clemens should hope for the same prosecution team. I haven’t followed a whole lot on the Anthony trial — makes me sick to think of that poor, beautiful little girl and how she was treated. I think the mom is guilty as hell, but they did NOT prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. Maybe Clemens does have a chance…

I can’t say it too often, the MLB at-bat app is the BEST. I very much enjoy listening to John and Suzyn. I’ve been listening too much according to my hubby b/c when we watch it on tv (no radio) I quote John. Drives the hubby crazy! Just a bonus I guess =)

Let’s go Jeter! (he can wait until Friday night, don’t get to watch Thurs b/c I work.) and LET’S GO, Yankees!!

(Grammy gave son #1 a book written by Yogi Berra that’s called “Let’s Go, Yankees” about a family that visits NYC and YS and everyone they run into says “Let’s Go, Yankees!” It’s his favorite book right now. He still loves the Twins, but I have him leaning towards the dark side!!)

I wouldn’t have wanted a six-man rotation, Kathleen. And I’m fine with Nova getting sent down. It’s great having him in reserve if we need him. Hughes deserves his share of starts so the Yankees can really see where he is. As for Clemens, I hate that Pettitte and others will be dragged into the trial. I guess the best we can hope for is that it’s over fast.

I agree that Hughes’ start had positives, NYL. I’m just saying I have an ominous feeling about the future and I hope I’m wrong!

Good point, DJ. Clemens should hope for the Casey Anthony prosecutors! (I think both the parents are shifty.) Love the MLB phone app and the WordPress one that’s allowing me to comment on the blog right now!

17. new yawk lover says:

all eyes in the baseball world being on Jeter watch had MLB TV carrying tonight’s game, affording me the opportunity to watch Big Bart again, nice. And Jeter gets a double in his first at bat, double nice/

So glad you were able to see Bart, NYL. If only he’d had a better game. Just not his night.

19. new yawk lover says:

aside from Jeter getting a hit, it wasn’t a Yankee night. Colon didn’t have his usual edge, and the Yankee offense was flat as crespelle again. yurgh