Austin Kearns? Really?

July 4th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Photo: Rob Tringali/Getty Images North America

Shelley Duncan? Really?

Why is it that ex-Yankees – mediocre ex-Yankees – always beat us? I know, I know. They probably try harder. Still, doesn’t it seem as if Melky, Betemit and other castoffs are the ones who do damage?

In tonight’s loss, it was Shelley who got the Indians’ offense started and Kearnsy who finished us off. Such a shame too. A.J. pitched superbly for 100+ pitches, but was clearly struggling in the 7th after being victimized by a pop-up that neither A-Rod nor Gardner could catch. I expected Girardi to lift him, not learning until later that Ayala and Mo were both ailing (was that why he blew the save yesterday?) and our pen was short of arms. Cory Wade got the nod and didn’t do much with it.

At least we weren’t no-hit by Josh Tomlin. I mean seriously. That would have been unpleasant, especially on the occasion of Jeter’s return from the DL. Has our offense disappeared again? Or was Tomlin that good?

I hope everyone had a Happy July 4th, in spite of what turned out to be a bummer of a game. I did – thanks to a steak barbecue and one of my favorite summer treats.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Austin Kearns? Really?”

1. John says:

Jeter and I both returned from the DL yesterday. We both felt good but are a little rusty.

My knee replacement went well and I opted to come home instead of Rehab Hospital. My daughters PT agency will handle my rehab at home and she will oversee my work. It is really wonderful knowing you have arthritis free knee after too many years of pain.

Next goal is Labor Day game I have tickets for. Also, going into Red Sox country (Rhode Island) for a week next month. I’ll be working through the pain!

Umm, steak and corn on the cob! We’re still a couple of weeks from the corn part here – can hardly wait!

I’ve noticed that depressing pattern also, Jane. Ex-Yankees are always dangerous. I was shaking in my boots when Shelly Duncan came up with a runner in scoring position, and with good reason. That pop-up mishap was when I started yelling at the radio. Somehow I just knew that was going to be a turning point in the game and, unfortunately, it was. The inning should have been over but, instead, the game was, at least for the Yankees.

At least the rest of the Fourth was pleasant. We had a truly gorgeous day yesterday and today looks just like it. My family went canoeing on the Battenkill River and enjoyed the quintessential Vermont and upstate New York scenery. Then we stopped at a park for a gourmet picnic (if it includes Brie and baguettes it counts as gourmet for us). Great day, except for what happened between 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

3. Jeff says:

If it makes you feel better, Shelley Duncan is probably the ugliest person to ever play pro ball (and yes, he’s worse than Willie McGee).

Congratulations, John. You’re done with the pain! My sister just had her second hip replaced and she, too, will be able to walk without grimacing. Glad you can have your rehab at home. I have no doubt you’ll be ready for action in the Bronx on Labor Day and nothing can stop you from harassing Red Sox fans in Rhode Island.

It was my first corn of the summer, Audrey, and it was worth waiting for. Yum. Now I’m gearing up for the really good tomatoes. Your 4th must have been fun between the canoeing and the picnicking (Brie and baguettes – how French!). As for the game, that pop up gave the Indians another chance and they took advantage. Too bad, because AJ was really good until that inning.

He’s not so bad, Jeff. He just looks like a ballplayer.

5. new yawk lover says:

The late Granderson homer gave me some hope, along with wistfully wishing Jeter had gotten off the schneid and hit his way on base in front of him, and knotted the game at 4 all. Little did I know the Indians would soon ice it with another homer of their own. Oh well.

Burnett pitched well, just a bit too long, as hindsight shows us. Let’s see how CC fares today, and Hughes tomorrow, both most likely without the support of Rivera. What ever happened to that late inning guy that was hired over Cashman’s wishes? Where did he (and the $17 million) make off to anyway?

Soriano who? That’s what I keep saying, NYL. Supposedly, he could put in an appearance after the All-Star break, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

7. Melissa says:

Oh Jeff, come on! How can you say that about Duncan when we all know Randy Johnson holds the title of ugliest ballplayer ever? I always thought Ricky Ledee was up there as well.
    Duncan is more in the Yogi category – funny looking but cute in his own way.

Maybe we should have a contest, Melissa. LOL. I’m with you on Randy Johnson though. At least Shelley smiles a lot.

I’m just glad all the Yankees are cute as buttons.

I always laugh at that expression, Audrey. Why are buttons cute? lol

Good question, Jane. Buttons really are only cute to other buttons, I suppose. Good game so far!

Excellent game so far. I think I’ll be safe going out for dinner in a half hour since I’ll be leaving the boys in CC’s capable hands.