Losing Game 1

June 24th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I don’t have any stats on this – I’m sure someone must – but haven’t the Yankees dropped series openers a lot this year? It certainly feels that way. It’s as if they have to get comfortable with a new team before they do any damage.

Of course I probably jinxed us with last night’s post about Giambi hitting a homer. Groan.

On second thought, it wasn’t my fault. It was AJ’s.

Photo: Andrew Theodorakis/Daily News

You can almost hear him muttering, “I coulda stayed in the game, but now I might have to punch some glass doors.”

He’s such a puzzle. On one hand, he became the first pitcher in Yankees history to strike out four batters in one inning. He also walked five batters in two innings. How can one guy have such a split personality?

He had help with tonight’s loss. Our offense was in sleep mode for the most part.

Not much to say except that there was a little good news: the Red Sox lost to the lowly Pirates. That made me smile.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Losing Game 1”

1. John says:

On top of a yuck game you know who was in the broadcast booth. Double yuck! Lack of Flair- -ity needs to go.

I turned on the radio just as Giambi hit his homerun and thought of you, Jane.

Again working on that balance thing, I watched a movie with my family last night. When I checked the score and heard it had changed from 2-2 to 4-2 I knew I wasn’t missing anything. This is a tough weekend – heading to New Jersey for a 60th anniversary celebration for my in-laws. Dinner starts at 1:30 so I won’t hear much of the game and since they switched to satellite they lost YES. The Yankees are going to have to do it without me, though I am taping Sunday’s game to watch when we get home.

The lowly Pirates are holding their own this year. I’m happy for them since my daughter attends college north of Pittsburgh and I have an affection for the town. Let’s hope they sweep the Sox while we take the next two games from the Rockies and resume our rightful place at the top of the AL East.

3. Paul says:

Homer? I could’ve sworn Giambi was commissioned by the government to launch a satellite into space.

4. Rachel says:

I go back and forth between well, the Yankees lost, but at least the Red Sox lost to the Pirates (optimistic view point) and I can’t believe we couldn’t take advantage of the Red Sox losing to one of the worst team’s in baseball! (pessimistic angry view point).

CC will fix it.

Also, is it just me, or is 4 strikeouts in one inning not really something to celebrate? It means you didn’t get an out when you should have…. maybe that’s just my angry/pessimistic side coming out again ;)

5. Jeff says:

Can’t get over how odd the Rockies look playing at Yankee Stadium… kept banging my TV to make it look right.

6. Freya says:

I was at the game last night. Yankee fans are loyal fans regardless of what team our (former) players are on. The Bleacher Creatures included Giambi in the roll call, and there was even cheering for Giambi when he hit his home run. That would have been fine if only we could have scored some runs. Looked like Jimenez was getting back on track. At least the Red Sox lost too. Now we have to get back to winning!

I thought of you, John, when I was listening to Flash drone on. I even said on Twitter what a bore he is – especially after having the pleasure of Paulie in the booth.

Happy Anniversary to your in-laws, Audrey. Sixty years is quite a feat. The Yankees will have to manage without you, so I hope you’ll manage without them and enjoy yourself. I was shocked when I heard about the Red Sox and Pirates. I guess it goes to show the old adage that any team can beat any other team on any given day. Still, I figured the Sox would walk over Pittsburgh.

That ball was a shot, Paul. No question. Giambino still has power and should be in the Al where he can DH all the time.

LOL, Rachel. I had the same thought you did about AJ’s strikeout thing. He did throw a lot of pitches. I’ll tap into your optimistic side and say that CC will fix things, even if he hasn’t been as dominant so far as he’s been in the past.

I agree, Jeff. Those purple batting helmets at Yankee Stadium? It was all wrong.

I heard that the Creatures did a roll call for Giambi, Freya. He was always a favorite and it was very nice except that the cheering for his homer was a little much. I remember when the same thing happened with Matsui. One homer=cheering. Another homer=silence. That’s how I think it should go.

8. John says:

Going to wobble best I can to Old Timers Day game Sunday. Sec 133 Row 26 9,10,11,12. Come say hi if any of you are there! Look for the big guy with the cane.

I’m glad you’ll be able to go, John, cane and all!

10. Melissa says:

I can’t remember where I heard it, but someone said recently (maybe it was AJ in an interview?) that AJ appreciates Russell Martin because his strikeout pitch often ends up in the dirt and Martin does such a good job of blocking it. He said something about not wanting to be afraid to throw that pitch.

I think we can celebrate the four strikeouts. AJ had trouble last night, didn’t implode, and after he got the three strikeouts, he came right back with another. He’d gotten himself back on track in the sixth and that was something he didn’t do last year.

The main thing is, he kept us in the game and with some offense and a little luck, we could have won. Cano’s line out in the first was hit sharply and had it been a little higher, or over to one side, we could have had a big inning.

Melissa, I always appreciate your sunshine and positive outlook. I’m rooting for AJ too. But the fact that we have to be happy that he doesn’t implode is setting the bar pretty low, don’t you think? I’ve written the same thing about how grateful we should be that he didn’t have a complete meltdown, but at this point I’d just like to see him throw a really well pitched game that lives up to his talent and his contract.

12. Melissa says:

I agree, but he did pitch really well his last game, but lost because we didn’t score. I’ll give him a pass for this bad outing. He’s pitched well this year and if he can win us important games in August, September and OCTOBER(!), I’ll forgive him just about anything he’s doing now. ; – )
    And the team needs to score for him.