A Man Walks Into A Bank Of America

April 11th, 2011 by Jane Heller

No, that’s not the opening line of a joke. It’s a reference to Nick Swisher’s appearances today at various BOA locations to promote the bank’s sponsorship of Major League Baseball. When I was a kid, they used to reward prospective bank customers with toasters. Now, they give you a shot at meeting a Yankee. Not bad.

I’m a BOA customer here in Santa Barbara, but the only famous guy who walked into my bank was a robber back in January.

(Courtesy: dailysound.com)

It took the cops quite awhile to catch him, and he wasn’t even wearing a ski mask. Pathetic, right?

Anyhow, I was jealous that Swisher was on the other coast popping in at my bank, but what can you do.

On to other matters this off-day. I hope A-Rod is feeling better. Clearly, his diet of kale and egg whites didn’t keep the germs away. Maybe he should just have a pizza.

I see that the Rays pounded the Red Sox at Fenway tonight, scoring 16 runs. What I’d like to say about that is this: Why couldn’t we have gotten Dice K last night instead of Beckett? Now that would have been fun.

For those of you who predicted that Jeter would notch hit #2938 during the Red Sox series, I’m sorry you didn’t win the book. My copy came in the mail the other day, and it’s a nice addition to any Yankee fan’s library. It’s filled with pics of the Captain and features a very well written Foreword by the Times‘ Tyler Kepner. But for those who are still in the running for the contest, good luck this week. All he needs is 5 more hits. One of these days….

Tags: , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “A Man Walks Into A Bank Of America”

1. Jeff says:

Here we go Jeet-uh, here we go! Ready to see if I’m right! PS, that bank robber looks a lot like Carey Elwes.

I don’t know what Carey Elwes looks like, Jeff, but I’ll take your word for it.

He does, Paul! Except for the O.J.-style black leather gloves, he could be anybody.

What a cool idea. Running into Swish at a bank! Or any of Da Boyz. But methinx it would be XTRA-fun to meet up with HIM…!
    Carey Elwes? Who dat? Sounds like something Elmer Fudd woulda said…you know…”Be vewy vewy quiet. I’m gonna Carey Elwes outa da building…I mean, cawwy Elvis…oh, you wascally wabbit!!”
    Oh, yes, and I hear that Mr. Schadenfreude is calling from the Tampa Bay area. He’s a bit of a Renegade, and he’s had a hard spring so far…but there’s something to be said for the company of misery…!!
    Lest we get too giddy…sports wags point out that we’ve played just 10 games or so. That’s one-16th of a season…so in NFL football terms, it’s the same as losing your season opener. Same for you in reverse, Tejas!!

4. Sue says:

Hard to believe somebody robbed a bank without a mask on – either incredibly bold, or incredibly dumb.

You’re so right about how early the season is, Dave. Didn’t it start less than 2 weeks ago? That’s nothing! Honestly, my only concern about the Yanks is the starting pitching, just as it’s been all winter. The offense is just fine.

The amazing part, Sue, is that the guy robbed several banks in the area – without any disguise but the cap – and it took our cops awhile before he was caught!

7. Ruth says:

I swear I thought that was Nick Swisher in disguise….put a little fake mustache on Swishy and he could be that guy in the photo…but then I read further….

Man, I am a suffering CPA just trying to get through tax season. I thought about choosing April 15 as the day Jete gets his 10th….because, well, April 15th is the ‘traditional’ due date (it’s actually 4/18 this year), but noooooo, I had to pick today, my anniversary! Losing out on a book is enough to make an overworked CPA melt down…..how sad is that? I’ll regain composure any minute now….

Ouch, Ruth. Tax season for you must be stressful! Sorry, too, that you missed out on the Jeter book. I do hope you have a happy anniversary and that the Yankees will win tonight just for you!

9. Ruth says:

Hey, Jane, I’m not out of the running yet….tonight could be Jeter’s break-out night – 5 for 5, baby. Yea, right…..I won’t hold my breath. Okay, I am sounding much too whiny…I don’t want to get kicked out of this wonderful community that I’m so happy to have found! I’ll be human again this time next week!

Of course Jeter could have his breakout night tonight, Ruth! Stranger things have happened. No breath holding, but worth a shot. And you won’t get kicked out of this little group, I promise. It’s great to have you here.

11. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

I LOVED that Tampa win yesterday …. :o). I’m going to the game tonight hoping to see “good” AJ…actually I’d love to see “great” AJ. I have field level seats right behind the moat …behind home plate. My future son-in-law’s Dad gave them to us (his company seats). I only hope the rain holds out and they get the game in. I also hope the hitters start doing what they are suppose to do …HIT !!! Three hitters don’t do it …we need them all doing their thing along with the pitchers doing their part. It’s only been 9 games with a long way to go so I’m not worrying about anyone till at least a month or two into the season. I have every confidence in the Yankees putting it all together …I just love the guys on this team and I’m especially loving Russell Martin. I love his aggressive play and he seems like a great guy in the interviews. Let’s hope he stays healthy and keeps on keeping on.

Here’s to a Yankee win tonight and many, many more this season …

Go Yankees 2011 !!!

Oooh, Peggy. Lucky you going to the game and sitting in those awesome seats. We all hope the rain holds off and that AJ gets it done. Have fun!!

Bummer, YankeeCase. I was psyched for tonight’s game. Booooo.

14. Peggy says:

Oh well …the game was rained out but at least we have those seats for either the postponed game or we can trade them in for another game for seats of equal value. I can’t tell you how happy I am that
    Boston lost again !!!! Almost as good as a Yankee win … :o)…

Go Yankees 2011 !!!

Sorry, Peggy. I thought of you when I read about the rain. Glad you’ll be able to use the seats for another game though. And yes, the Rays did it again!