I Take Back What I Said About Bart (For Now)

March 21st, 2011 by Jane Heller

Colon was really good tonight against the Rays, wasn’t he? No more jokes about his girth.

(Courtesy: thesplatflats.com)

OK, maybe just that one.

I was impressed with the way he set down a talented Rays lineup, except for the homer to Shoppach. Will he be able to keep going for more than six innings if he wins the job though? We really do need someone who can eat innings, as opposed to burgers. But tonight has to give him an edge over Garcia, I would think.

Mostly, this game made me wish we could just fast forward through the rest of spring training and get to Opening Day. Others have expressed the same wish, and I was content to just roll along. But once I saw us go up against one of our division rivals in a night setting, it felt more….for real. I don’t know about the players, but I’m ready. Play ball.

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “I Take Back What I Said About Bart (For Now)”

1. Amanda says:

I agree! I’m ready for Opening Day!! It’s time to play games that will actually count for something!

2. A.J. says:

Colon has been a pleasant surprise this spring. I think Nova has the fourth spot right now. Colon’s been good and Freddy’s been not-so-good, lately. The fifth spot could come down to the last week of spring training, which makes it exciting!

I was excited about ST at first, Amanda, but tonight I realized I’ve had enough “practice” and am ready to play. Well, for the players to play. :)

Publicly, the fifth spot will go down to the wire, A.J. But I have a feeling Girardi has already made up his mind. Colon will get the job over Garcia and Garcia will go to the pen. My bet is on that scenario.

4. Nadine says:

I really can’t believe Colon is actually good enough to earn the #5 spot. But well, surprise, surprise. I think you’re right Jane, Colon will get the job and Garcia goes to the pen. That’s very likely.
    I also can’t wait for the season to start. Then finally their effort will count for something. They’re in good shape (at least all of them who are not injured) and they can start the season! :)

It’s not for sure that Colon will earn the #5 spot, Nadine, but Girardi keeps saying how surprised and impressed he’s been with him so I’m just guessing. I know that Garcia has said he won’t go to the minors if they try to send him there. He’s determined to sign with a major league team.

6. Paul says:

If he pitches well and wants to eat between innings, who cares?

Paul’s got a point (like a blind squirrel, he finds a nut every now & then)…hey, it’s not like there’s no (thick and) rich traditon on the Yanks for this, eh?? The first time Big Bart retires the side in Da Bronx, and waddles into the dugout for a dog (or a taco or an enchilada…whatever) — ol’ Jidge will be smiling broadly somewhere. I actually caught an inning or so of the action last nite…it was broadcast on TBS or something that we common basic cable troglodytes are permitted to access…and thought, hey, he ain’t so bad…! But then I had to switch the station again quickly and sweat out my girls’ college hoops nailbiter W over the (Roger?) Marist Redd Foxxes. Tell me, you Noo Yawkers…is that colorful description REALLY that Poughkeepsie school’s nickname? Or did they get a major donation from “Fred Sanford” back in the day?? Or both??? Trivial pursuits like that will hopefully keep you from being TOO bored awaiting That First Pitch…

HAHA, Paul. True enough.

You’re right about the rich tradition of porkies, Dave. But I guess when you win 20 games and throw no-hitters, all is forgiven in the weight department.

9. Kristen says:

Spring Training was fantastic when it was our first taste of baseball after the winter, rather like how delicious a plain chicken soup might taste after you’ve been sick for a long time. But eventually you’re feeling even better, tire of the chicken soup and start craving something more substantial. Bring on the meat and potatoes of the regular season!!

Somehow after reading this post the food references just started creeping in, LOL.

Exactly, Kristen. The first taste after winter was very exciting. Plain chicken soup after a cold. Now we want juicy burgers! (Oh, wait. I sound like Colon. LOL)

11. Melissa says:

great description Kristin! I’m done worth the soup and ready for a roast chicken dinner!

Dave, Marist is the Red Foxes, so I’m assuming the women’s team made a word play based on the fact that women have two x chromosomes. pretty clever!

We stumbled onto the game on MLB last night. Boring announcers and by the time we found it most of the starters were out.

I had to chuckle at the idea that Tampa Bay has a spring training facility. kinda ironic to me. And I liked their stadium better than the trop.

I thought the same thing about the Rays ST facility, Melissa. I kept saying, “Why don’t they just use THAT?”

13. YankeeCase says:

Somehow I don’t think that’s the last we’ll see of that pic this year…

HAHA, YankeeCase. You could be right. :)

15. Jane,
    Colon was mixing the bag of tricks well on Monday night. Was an impressive outing and one that might be a highlight of his Spring. With 9 days left and one more start possibly planned, he might have had his best game at the right time to be seriously considered for that fifth spot. Even if he is not throwing high heat anymore, they guy still has some good control with his breaking stuff. I agree with you, Colon had a great night and kept the score to a goose egg.

Yeah, he pitched well that night, Renegade. Still don’t know if he’ll win the job because he hasn’t pitched in the majors in so long and is no spring chicken. Nobody is quite sure what they’re getting with him – i.e. if he can go deep into games or even into a season. But we shall see.