Baseball At The Hair Salon Today

March 10th, 2011 by Jane Heller

So I was sitting in the chair, having my hair blown dry, when Andie, my stylist, said, “My son is bringing his new girlfriend home for dinner tomorrow night.”

“Really? That’s exciting,” I said, as I flipped through last month’s issue of Town and Country. I’d been reading the article about the McCourt’s divorce that Andie had brought over to show me. She’s a Dodgers fan and is sickened by what’s happening with her team’s owners. “Are you looking forward to meeting her?”

“I was,” she said. “But my son told me she has a problem.”

“What kind of a problem?” I asked, thinking we might be talking about drugs, alcohol, shop lifting, an addiction to reality shows.

“She’s a Giants fan.” Andie made a face.

I laughed. I couldn’t help it. For baseball fans on this coast, the rivalry between the Dodgers and Giants is as intense as Yankees-Red Sox. “Maybe she’s just a casual fan. Maybe she just said that because she’s from the Bay Area.”

“Nope. Her family has season’s tickets. They’re hardcore.”

“Well, he’s not marrying her,” I pointed out. “He’s just bringing her home for dinner.”

She sighed as she finished my hair. “We’ll see about that.”

I would love to be a fly on the wall at their dinner.

Meanwhile, how about Jorge playing first today against the Phillies? I’m so impressed with the way he’s going along with his new role(s). Hip hip. And CC was back on track after his rocky start the other day. How funny was it after he took a comebacker off his thigh and told everybody he was fine because he “had a lot of meat down there.”

(courtesy: olaughingpress.com)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Baseball At The Hair Salon Today”

1. Antonella says:

LOL! Your hairstylist is hilarious. I can’t even judge because I judge people by the team they like as well. [I follow ONE BoSox fan on twitter & I honestly didn't know he was a fan til after I followed] lol. I hope her son doesn’t marry this chick, wouldn’t it be something if she converted him into a Giants fan? haha!

PS- Finally on Spring Break, which means I will FINALLY get some reading in.. I’ve read one chapter of Sis Boom Bah so far :)

Andie’s the best, Antonella. She’s so passionate about the Dodgers. She said she told her husband about the son’s girlfriend’s “problem,” and he had the same reaction she did. I said, “As long as your kid is happy, right?” She nodded, reluctantly. Yay that you’re on spring break. I hope you like Sis Boom Bah as much as the others.

3. Antonella says:

I hope you get a follow up abt this situation.. I wouldn’t be surprised if they wore their Dodgers jerseys to dinner ;)

I’m sure it’ll be great. I’m already getting into character with the narrator. LOL. She needs to suck it up & fly to go to her mom’s bday shindig lol

THANK GOD I HAVE A BROTHER!

Now that would be funny if they wore their jerseys to dinner! HAHA. And yes, the book will make you very glad you have a brother!

5. Greg DeVoe says:

My son-in-law is a Red Sox fan!!! We just never watch a Red Sox Yankees game together…… :)

6. Jeff says:

Rivalries can invade relationships (surprisingly enough). One of my sisters is married to a card carrying sCrUBS fanatic… their kids are so confused.

7. Paul says:

In the recesses of his mind, I’m curious as to what Posada’s thinking. If Russell Martin has the same trouble with Burnett, et al, will he silently say, “See? It wasn’t me.”.
    It’s human nature and I’d do the same thing.

Do you guys ever talk about baseball at Thanksgiving dinner, Greg? I bet not!

You have a brother-in-law who’s a Cubs fan, Jeff? YOU? That should be an interesting relationship.

Paul, I’m sure Posada has already said, “See, it isn’t me” when it comes to A.J., who also had trouble with Cervelli.

Ah, family feudin’…and beisbol…ain’t it great…(not)..!
    I wish ‘em well, because it can be quite the issue. My family’s complex entanglements are well-enough documented (me & Son #2 with the Yanks, Wife & Son #1 Anti-Yanks, with a ‘split decision’ on their Bosox loyalties)…but it’s been relatively polite. Except in ’04. But that’s my fault, too…
    Anyway, it’s good to hear about Hor-hay and how it’s worked out so far. Hard to imagine him at 1B, just as it is to envision Jeet in the OF…but hey, whatever works.
    And speaking of “Jane books” — my copy of ‘NX2 Grind’ arrived 2 days ago — hope to crack it open sometime next week down in F-L-A if I get an hour of spare time — and then brag about you & the blog to my clueless family. I cheated already by reading the sample they put on Amazon; not bad! And wouldn’t you know, the next day I read about some new book that cites how many womens’ successes are keeping many men in an Adam Sandler-Seth Rogen (?) style prolonged boyhood. But whaddo I know (not much). Should all be fun (maybe)…?!

“Relatively polite” is excellent, Dave. It could be a lot worse! I hope you do get to crack open An Ex to Grind while you’re away, but as I’ve already warned it’s “chick lit” so it may not be your cup of java. I’m sure you’ll let me know.:)

11. Kristen says:

That’s funny! My stylist is a Dodgers fan too, a season ticket holder. She only just stopped crying when people mention the last World Series. I don’t know if her son could bring a Giants fan girlfriend home…at least not this year, maybe next year.

Rivalries can definitely affect the family dynamic. I have family on both sides of Dodgers/Giants divide and it’s all in good fun about 90% of the time. The other 10%? Well the family has now requested that my sister (Dodgers) and our cousins (Giants) stay off one another’s Facebook walls during Dodgers/Giants match-ups since they got into an e-brawl that required their parents to step in and referee during the last one…and they’re not teenagers. My sister is her 30s and the cousins in question are a minister and an aspiring minister.

An e-brawl between ministers? That’s hilarious, Kristen. Well, I’m sure no one in your family was laughing about it, but to us outsiders it does bring on a chuckle. It never ceases to amaze me how these baseball allegiances can have such a strong pull.

13. Kristen says:

I don’t know about that. I was laughing as were some of the other cousins. It _was_ pretty funny. :)

Oh, I’m glad the cousins were laughing, Kristen. If we can’t laugh at ourselves (and our relatives), we’re in big trouble.

15. Jane,
    I actually was planning to get married during the 2007 season at Tropicana Field and the Rays game day staff was excited by it all. We got through the prilims without a hitch, then she said she wanted to get married before the Yankee game. I was shocked , I had somehow fallen for a p[instripe without even knowing it.
    As you know I am shallow enough to still be single. I could forgive that she was a Florida State grad (I graduated from the Univeristy of Florida), but at that point in my baseball maturity…pinstriped wedding dresses were not an option.
    But I got over the childish rivals thing and now have friends from Boston to Seattle including a certain author who writes about my ex-fiancee’s favorite team…..
    Hopefully the next wife-to-be is not from Mass or Rhode Island….(lol)

You were about to marry a Yankee fan but didn’t KNOW she was a Yankee fan, Renegade? That’s pretty funny that the subject never came up. Either she wasn’t much of a fan or she was keeping her fandom a secret so you wouldn’t dump her. LOL. Here’s hoping you find a woman with as much passion for the Rays as you have.