The Kids Are All Right

February 27th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I’m in a movie mood, granted, given that the Oscars start in a few hours. But my headline isn’t about this.

It’s about Nova and Montero and Betances and – my fave from yesterday – Vazquez. Eric Chavez will probably get the remaining infielder job, despite his lobster claws playing first today, but Jorge the II can hit! Two homers in two days? Yeah, I know. Shelley Duncan was on that track and look what happened to him. But for now I’m liking him a lot.

Sorry, I digress. I meant to start with Nova. He was sharp. And fearless. He threw one that buzzed Polanco’s head and acted like it was no big deal. I know the word “poise” is overused, but he’s got some; you can just tell he’s ready for prime time.

It was fun seeing Montero make his debut. Did he do anything spectacular? Not really. But he and Nova seemed to be in a nice rhythm and he really worked his at bats.

I have to say that the highlight of the Yankees’ win over the Phillies was the appearance of Dellin Betances (whom I couldn’t help calling Beyonces). Um, why aren’t we FedEx-ing this kid right to the majors? He’s big and strong and throws strikes at 97 mph. As I watched him I kept going, “Who cares about Cliff Lee?” Speaking of Lee, he was interviewed by Michael Kay and said he chose the Phillies because they gave him the best chance to win a championship. Oh, yeah? We’ll see about that, Cliffy.

Photo: Kevin H./flickr

P.S. Friend of the Blog, Corinne, sent me a pic of her mom in Monument Park. As you can read from her comment below, she and her family arranged for a Stadium tour for her mother, who seems to have been given the royal treatment! Thanks for the pic and the wonderful story, Corinne!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “The Kids Are All Right”

1. new yawk lover says:

yurgh, I missed it..schedule says 8 pm..oh well, these things happen. Did Maxwell see more time in right field, and, if so, did show any kind of an arm? He sure didn’t yesterday. Still don’t get that trade

Yeah, Michael, that schedule was for the MLB Network and they’re showing a tape delay of today’s game later. I watched it on MLB.TV/YES. Didn’t see Maxwell but once they started bringing in all the subs I took a phone call and could have missed him. Check the box score. Fun game!

3. Antonella says:

It was an all around good game for the young kids! I guess this is why Cashman preached patience.. LOL! I will see, 2 interviews with Cliff Lee today were more than enough.. Let’s move on. I’m glad the only way we’ll face him is if both teams get to the WS.
    That Jorge Vazquez is seriously kicking ass & taking names.. He hasn’t gotten a lot of AB’s and is definitely producing. :))))

I can see why Cashman preached patience, Antonella, but he’s still not off the hook for a starter – now. I agree about Cliffy. He spoke. We listened. The story’s over. The end! If Nova can give us 6-7 of those nice, clean innings, we’ll all forget Lee exists.

5. Corinne says:

Just got home to Syracuse from our trip to and tour of Yankee Stadium. It was great! My mom was so excited and loved every minute of it. The weather cooperated, and it was sunny and not too cold. The staff was wonderful. To keep her from walking too much, we had requested a wheel chair, which they had ready for her. Because of it, since she had to use elevators, she got to visit parts of the stadium that the rest of us didn’t get to see. On her way to and from elevators, she saw the indoor batting cages and some of the work out machines, among other things. We couldn’t go on the field because they were laying new sod for the season (Kentucky Blue Grass). The best part of the trip for all of us, I think, was seeing the “I want to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee” sign on the way to the field, and then the clubhouse. Pictures don’t do it justice! Lots of the players have already left things in their lockers, and it was interesting to see who had what. Jorge has a biblical quote on a plaque on the wall of his locker. Jeter has 2 lockers, one for him, and one for his fan mail. Both A.J. and Joba have family photos and mementos in their lockers, and Phil Hughes has enough clothes and shoes for the whole season. I guess he’s ready to settle in for the long haul. But really the best part was to see how happy my mom was. She really drank it all in. She also found out that perhaps it might be possible for her to get to a game. The staff will meet her at the curb with a wheel chair, take her to her seat, and pick her up at the end of the game. Lots of walking is the thing that keeps her from attempting it, but the workers really made her feel that it would be no problem at all. We could see her mind working over that one. Can’t say enough good things about the security people, the guide, and other staff we encountered. They seemed to be as big fans as the rest of us, and as much in awe of the place as we were. The only sad note was to see the emptiness where the old stadium stood. Nothing left but the Babe’s bat. I bet your mom would love this as much as mine did.

6. Virginia says:

Jane: Montero and Betances were SO cute after the game. I get so excited seeing the rookies. I just wish the Yankees would let them mature in the Bigs, and I hope they all stick around. I’d hate to hear that the Yanks traded for a starter and lost all their prospects.

Thanks so much for sharing your story of the Stadium tour and how well it went, Corinne. I loved reading about the players’ lockers. So interesting! But best of all, I’m so glad your mother enjoyed the tour and was treated so royally. I know my mom would enjoy the tour too, but at this stage of her life she’s pretty resigned to watching the games from the comfort of home.

The rookies are such fun to watch, Virginia. I hope they stick around too, but you know the philosophy: don’t let them sit around on the bench. As for a trade, I guess it’s always possible.

8. Kristen says:

Well I can tell you one thing, your kids certainly looked better today than mine today. There are definitely a few real standouts competing for Yankees spots.

I saw the Cliff Lee interview. Isn’t that what almost everyone says about why they chose they team they chose? It’s like players flip a coin to decide if they should say I chose the environment that’s best for my family or I chose the team that has the best shot of winning.

“We’re talking baseball — Kluszewski, Campanella…
    Talkin’ baseball…The Man and Bobby Feller…
    The Scooter…The Barber…and The Newk…
    They knew ‘em all, from Boston to Dubuque…
    Especially Willie…Mickey…and The Duke…”
    — Terry Cashman, 1981

I know, it’s seems so incongruous to post this when you’re celebrating Yank Youth today. But maybe not. This morning, I wake up to doff my cap in honor of one of our team’s greatest opponents, #4, Duke Snider. He was as much the Dodgers as anyone ever has been or will be. I can’t claim to remember him by seeing him play…by the time I was first beisbol-conscious, he was helping lead the L.A. Dodgers to their first world championship…but he deserves our deepest respect. There are times an opponent evokes that.
    Now…back to today’s world. Ain’t it great how the Young Yanks seem almost ready to pick up that baton from the eternal relay race that is our favorite sport…didn’t see the game, but don’t care…you-all provide the details, and I love it…keeps us all young…long live it all…!
    P.S. Extra She-Fan Brownie Points if you can identify every all-time great in that song snippet…!!

10. Jane,
    This Dillin kid is another reason I think ther Yankees do not have the fret about possibly filling two rotation slots. Even if they push up Nova and use a Colon or Garcia retread, they have the guys within a short plane ride to push that worry down the drain.
    And that is what is so unique about this division. There is a farm system surplus of guys you would not expect just itching to get the call, and stay beyond just a simple cup of java in the bigs.
    Nova surprised me with his attitude and his stuff last season….Maybe the Yankees are just reloading like the Rays. That is a scary sight ( for my team).

Now I got to find an In & Out burger here in San Fran?…Heard it is a Cali must.

11. John says:

Corrine, that sign leading to the field really impressed me also when I was on a private tour of the old stadium a few of years ago. I took a picture of a replica of the “I Want to Thank the Good Lord” sign at an auction I attended and brought it to a sign shop and they used a computer to replicate the exact size and script. I have one in my office and one in my Yankee room at home. It reads, “I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee Fan”. My name and birthdate appear on the lower right corner.

Yankee “Young Guns” are going to make Girardi’s spring both exciting and difficult.

12. Jeff says:

Montero is all the talk, so I’m looking forward to getting my first glimpse of him soon. And that monument park… man, that is powerful. Hope I hide my jealousy well ;-)

13. Paul says:

Don’t count on Eric Chavez for anything is my advice.

You’re right about Cliff Lee and what he said in his interview, Kristen. They all say, “This team will give me the best chance to win.” Well, maybe Jayson Werth didn’t say that. LOL. But how do you get off saying that to the Yankees? We’re not exactly chopped liver.

Absolutely right to pay respects to Duke Snider, Dave. He was one of the greats – and one our greatest rivals. A true “Boy of Summer.” Here are my guesses from your song: Ted Kluszewski, Roy Campanella, Stan Musial, Bob Feller, Phil Rizzuto, Sal Magli (sp), and Don Newcombe. How’d I do?

It’s Dellin, not Dillon, but who’s counting, Renegade. LOL. Your guys have an amazing farm system too. You just keep turning out incredible pitchers. Ours will be some tough division and that’ scary. You’re in SF? If so, you must find an In and Out Burger. Best fast food burgers in the country.

What a great idea to do that with the sign, John. Brilliant! Wish I had one. I have a feeling Girardi will send the kids back to Scranton, which will be too bad.

Montero would have been shipped out to Seattle for Cliff Lee, Jeff. I still have conflicts about that. Just glad he’s still a Yankee right now.

Duly noted, Paul.

One hundred percent, Miz Jane…okay, ninety-nine and a half, ’cause it’s Maglie with an “e”…but nice job!!
    Trivia moment: Sal “the Barber” Maglie was a NY Giant for most of his career, but he ended up with the Brooklyn Dodgers. In Game #5 of the ’56 Series — Don Larsen’s perfecto — Maglie was the Dodger hurler!!

Glad I got a good mark, Dave. I figured my spelling would be off. Thanks for the trivia too!