Hip Hip Jorge!

February 26th, 2011 by Jane Heller

No, not that one. This one.

Photo: Nick Laham/Getty Images/bleacherreport.com)

If you watched the game today – how cool was it to see the Yanks in action for the first time in months? – you saw the monster shot hit by Jorge Vazquez, a minor league infielder signed out of the Mexican League. He also had a single, btw. Is he the guy who could spell A-Rod at third if Eric Chavez doesn’t make the team? Probably not. And one spring training game doesn’t tell us much. But I liked his plate presence all the same.

Let’s back up and talk about the pre-game ceremony to honor The Boss. I loved how Tino, Gator, Gossage, Girardi and Jeter took turns reading from the plaque. Very classy. And a nice moment with Steinbrenner’s wife and daughters. (Apparently, Hal was there but where was Hank? Out having a smoke?) Hailey Swindall continues to do a good job in the singing department (Christina Aguilera should take a page out of her playbook).

Colon? Eh. Not horrible. Not great. A couple of innings of so-so.

Joba? I liked it. Three up, three down. No futzing around. And, if the radar gun was accurate, he was at 93-94. And what was all that business about his weight? He looked just about the same as last year except for the longer hair. Talk about much ado about nothing.

Cervelli was impressive and made a statement that he was not interested in getting in line behind Montero or Romine. Good for him.

I didn’t love when Tex got hit on the foot by a Hamels pitch, but he seemed fine. Way too early in the season for an injury.

I couldn’t see any difference in Jeter’s stride, could you?

A-Rod was swinging the bat well.

Anyhow, it was just fun watching our guys shake off the rust. Baseball is back. Yay.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Hip Hip Jorge!”

1. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

It was so much fun today !!! All of us at Mickey’s was yelling and cheering like it was a playoff game….do you think we are happy Yankee baseball is back?? What a shot by little Jorge (who actually looks like a big boy)…we were all chanting hip, hip, Jorge. You are so right about Joba ..what was that all about?? He didn’t look one
    bit different from last year except for the longer hair coming out of his cap. Maybe that was the extra
    weight ..haha. That’s why I hardly read any of what these “gossip” sports reporters have to say. They
    much rather stir up trouble to sell papers than to actually report on the good things in camp. Alex looked good too …nice sound off the bat. It’s so GREAT to have baseball back in any form and I can’t wait for the REAL Opening Day !!!

The ceremony was lovely …seemed longer than the one they had at the Stadium. The likeness of the
    statue is really amazing too. As for Hank …he was probably out for smoke and didn’t realize the ceremony
    started…or….maybe he was off giving another one of his “invigorating” interviews..LOL. It was strange that he wasn’t there tho’.

Anyway …lots of fun cheering the boys on today while eating some yummy food and having a great time
    in general with lots of terrific Yankee fans. I’m really looking forward to the game tomorrow to see Montero play.

Have a great rest of the weekend …

Go Yankees 2011 !!!!!!

I bet you had a blast, Peggy. The Yankees and yummy food – what could be bad? I hope we’ll see more of “little Jorge” (I think we should call him “Jorge the Second” since he’s a beefy kid). And yeah, Joba looked the same to me. Total nonsense even if he did gain a few pounds; it’s clearly muscle. Maybe Hank was kidnapped by the Phillies?

3. Peggy says:

WOW ….I wrote a whole post but don’t know where it went ??? Oh well ..LOL

Go Yankees 2011 !!!

4. Peggy says:

OH ..now the post is there …I’m guess I’m just crazy with baseball back …LOL. We can only hope Hank
    was kidnapped by the Phillies ..only problem …they would give him right back…haha.

Go Yankees 2011 !!!!

Uh-oh. Peggy, the Yankees made you delusional today. LOL!

6. Antonella says:

It felt so so so sooooo good to see live baseball! I expected Colon to literally give the game away in those 2 innings so I was shocked when he did decent.. It’s only game 1 so he has a month to improve. I didn’t realize this Jorge Vazquez guy was on the Mexico team from the Caribbean series til my cousin pointed that out.. Lemme see, he was hitting BOMBS left & right.. I want him on the roster. LOL. ARod’s swing was so beautiful.. So level! [Okay, I've been going to hitting lessons with my brother since he was 9, I notice things] lol. Overall, not a bad game.. I’m less worried now.. Maybe because I’m seeing bodies on the field actually playing :)

7. Nadine says:

I was also so happy to see Live Baseball. After all the Winter Baseball talk, I thought Colon would be better. I also went ‘Oh no, not again’, when I saw Tex getting hit by that pitch. I hope it’s really just a bruise. The interview with Swisher and Cervelli was so much fun. Ok, is there a time, Swisher is not like that? But Cervelli seemed to be more ‘grown up’. I think it’s the first interview ever I saw with him. Just too bad they lost. But Jorge Vazquez was great, didn’t expect that. Let’s see what they’re doing today. :)

I didn’t expect Colon to be THAT bad, Antonella. But I wasn’t expecting Cy Young either. Yeah, Jorge Vazquez is from the Mexican team. We scored when we get Aceves from there so maybe lightning will strike twice. Seeing bodies on the field was even more exciting than I thought it would be.

So relieved Tex is OK, Nadine. The last thing we did is for him – or anybody else – to go down so early. I loved that interview with Swisher and said the same thing on Twitter: “Is that guy ever in a bad mood?” Cervelli’s eyes really grabbed me in that interview. And his English seems to have gotten better. On to today’s game.

9. Jeff says:

I feel ya, Jane. I was getting excited over watching the scrubs play in a Dbacks v. Rox game. Didn’t know half the players… didn’t matter. It all felt right.

You watched the Cubs, Jeff? You? That’s called serious addiction!

11. Paul says:

The NY Times caption of Joba’s pic said he showed “stamina”.
    Stamina?!?

Not sure “stamina” would be the right word to describe a one-inning outing, Paul, but he looked very good.

13. Kristen says:

That _was_ a monster hit. I sat up at attention and said who’s that?! I thought Joba looked pretty good, fit wise and pitching wise. I mean time will tell but other than Bartolo (and that may just be rustiness) nothing to cause even small worry. It was soooooo good to see a live game again.

A monster hit, Kristen. And he popped another one out today. The kid can hit! Very good to see a live game again. Your guys are playing the Dodgers right now, I think. I’ll check it out.