Hank Shoots From the Lip; A-Rod Talks About His Hip

February 21st, 2011 by Jane Heller

And I just wrote a rhyming headline. Woohoo.

Anyhow, it was kind of an eventful day in Yankeeville. But before I get into who said what about whom, one of this blog’s faithful readers, Amanda, has been going to spring training camp to watch our boys practice and she sent me some video from her adventures. If you’re itching for a taste of the Yankees warming up, take a look. There’s a lot of standing around, but I can tell you this: If I were as close to those guys as Amanda was, I would have jumped onto the field and made a fool of myself.

Amanda doesn’t leave comments here, but let’s give her props for showing up in Tampa and forwarding the evidence.

Okay, so onto Hank Steinbrenner’s remarks. Apparently, the Hankster thinks the 2010 Yankees didn’t win the World Series because they were too busy celebrating their 2009 championship and “building mansions.” Hm. He didn’t single anybody out, but maybe he meant this mansion?

(Courtesy: curbed.com)

Jeter’s house is said to be the largest in Tampa, which would mean it dwarfs those of any Steinbrenner. Does the Hankster have real estate envy?

He recovered by saying this year’s Yankees seem hungrier than last year’s, which would make sense if the team had different players on it. (I’m fairly sure he doesn’t consider Russell Martin a game changer.) He’s such a character, that Hank. I know he makes some fans crazy, but I find him entertaining in the manner of, say, him.

A-Rod spoke to the media and said his hip is 100%, that he needs to have a better year and that he enjoyed being fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz on national television. (No, he didn’t say that last part; he did joke about the incident though.) I like the leaner, looser A-Rod. He’s smiling a lot more and the guy does have a great smile, whether he’s your favorite player or not.

(Courtesy: sportifi.com)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Hank Shoots From the Lip; A-Rod Talks About His Hip”

1. john says:

Thanks for the video Amanda. It brings me to where I want to be next week but can’t this year!

2. Thomasox says:

Jane,
    You have always been in a class by yourself, so this new site makes perfect sense. A long overdue CONGRATS to you. Plus, nice rhyme; original and with an extra, accented syllable in the second half of the line after the caesura to add some delight and punch to the phrase. Songs and poems next?
    Cheers,
    thomasox

3. Jeff says:

Dangerfield looks like he could pass as a Steinbrenner. Also, I wonder what sort of shenanigans go down in that mansion. I like that Jeet keeps it mysterious. Good for him.

4. ladyjane303 says:

I don’t think The Boss would be happy about Hank’s comments, and I hope this doesn’t become a personal thing all season long. Agree, it was great to see A-Rod so loose and upbeat. First televised game will be this weekend – can’t wait!
    Jane

That’s how I felt about Amanda’s video, John. It made me feel as if I were actually standing there at Steinbrenner Field. Wish both of us could be there but I hope you’re feeling better.

I leave the songs to our commenter Dave, Thomasox. He always has a tune to go with the posts. Glad you like the new location for the blog. Welcome.

Doesn’t Rodney look like he could be a Steinbrenner, Jeff? Hank’s eyes don’t bug out like that but they might if he keeps talking. For a humble kind of guy (or at least in his demeanor), Jeter did build himself a house that’s crazy big. I know athletes like big houses but seriously.

I wouldn’t worry about Hank’s comments becoming personal, ladyjane. I honestly think the players regard him as the nutty uncle at Thanksgiving and ignore him. Doesn’t A-Rod look loosey-goosey (but in a GOOD way)? I can’t believe this weekend brings the first televised game. Between that and the Oscars, it’ll be total TV watching.

6. Paul says:

I don’t see how a team that won that many games and lost in the ALCS wasn’t “hungry”, but Hank is as deranged/delusional as his dad was.

7. Paul says:

I don’t think my comment went through.

8. ladyjane303 says:

AH – The Oscars! My personal national holiday. Finally caught up with The King’s Speech – loved it! Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were both terrific. But I was also blown away by The Social Network. Glad I don’t have to choose.

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with spam on both blogs, Paul – probably because the sites are fresh meat, so to speak. In any case, the result is some legitimate comments are getting caught in the spam folder and I go in and fish them out – like every hour. So you’ve been “approved.” I don’t think George was delusional at all. Hank, on the other hand, can speak a kernel of truth from time to time but is mostly just a blowhard.

My personal national holiday too, ladyjane. Did you read my Mainly Jane post from last night? It’s about Portman and Bale not being locks for the Oscar. Check it out. I, too, wouldn’t want to choose between those two movies. Loved them both in very different ways. I assume “King’s Speech” will take Best Picture, Actor and Original Screenplay with “Social Network” getting Best Director and Adapted Screenplay.

“And even though you hurt me, I still love you…you know it’s true…
    And even though you’ll hurt me again…I will always love you…
    So run, baby, run…”
    — The Newbeats, 1965
    Okay…not the best “running” song you could ever see quoted, but couldn’t think of the words to somethin’ better in a pinch. And after all — we WILL always luv ‘em — no matter whatever…right?!
    THANK YOU, Amanda, for sharing that video! Boyoboy, did that ever remind me of my Yankee Fantasy Camp! Except for slight details, like (a) there’s 100 cameras, and (b) 100% REAL athletes…no balding graying fat guys trying to get into shape…why, it was almost like being there again!! Of course, my camp was so long ago, we have our movies on VHS tapes…remember those things, children…??
    As for Hank…no respect. No respect at all. Perfectly on target again, She-Fan. Let’s do hope that none of the Yanks pay him any mind. And yes…A-Rod sure looks my-t-fine for a 35-year-old beisbol geezer. They’re on TV this weekend ALREADY? Yikes. Strikes! Charlie Spikes!?!

The Newbeats? Who the hell are they, Dave? LOL. So Amanda’s video reminded you of fantasy camp? I guess there was a lot of standing around there too, plus, as you mention, these guys LOOK like athletes! And they’re OUR athletes. Very exciting. I really don’t think the Yankees pay any attention to Hank. Hal is the man. I do think they care what he says.

12. Jane,
    You are a poet and didn’t know it.
    Seriously, you ever thought of doing a baseball poetry book? Could be a nice bookend to the romantc/She-Fan collection?
    It was wild to hear George’s eldest spawn speak so frank. Possibly he is beginning a transformation to become a stronger figure in the Yankees day-to-day scope of things. Hopefully a bit of his father’s spirit has been awoken in him and he becomes more vocal, involved and more emotionally attached…that is a good thing.

Renegade, my buddy over at the “It Is High” Yankees blog, Hart Seely (he goes by the name El Duque) on the blog, is a very talented poet who’s written great rhymes about Phil Rizzuto and others and had his work published. I think I’ll leave that gig to him! Hank’s speaking out is nothing new. He spouted all sorts of stuff when George first stepped back from the day to day running of the team. Then he was quiet for awhile as Hal took charge. Now it seems he’s piping up again. Most Yankee fans would disagree with you (myself included) and say it would not be good for the team to see him take a more vocal role.

14. Melissa says:

Here is a poem.

let’s be frank
    hank
    Is a crank.

me thinks the “sibling rivalry” towards Jeter is raising it’s ugly head. Hank, HANK, Hank- people love Jeter because he is classy. Acting like a jerk isn’t going to make anyone love you.

ah, another poem

people love Jeter because he has class
    Hank, they won’t love you because you’re an ass

Who are The Newbeats? Ah, Jane…once again, your blissful ignorance (oh, that’s rude; let me rephrase), rather your sophisticated Noo Yawker’s urbane taste in rock’n’roll, which guarded against any recollection of such flyover cretins as Roger “King Of The Road” Miller, or Ray “Gitarzan” Stevens, has prevailed. Allow me to ‘splain.
    The Newbeats were an odd little singing group from Shreveport, or thereabouts, who hit the Top Ten once with “Bread And Butter” (“he likes bread & butter…he likes toast & jam…that’s what baby feeds him… he’s her lovin’ man”). Alas, not destined to rival The Beatles or The Stones — or even The Monkees — they had one or two follow-up tunes, like “Run Baby Run,” and then they were goners.
    Now what does ANY of this have to do with beisbol? Well. You see, we all hope that Our Yanks are like the Beatles & Stones, perennial hitmakers, and not, say, The Newbeats of ’09. But then again…ya know, think about that video of Miz Diaz and A-Rod…hey…change the words to “Popcorn And Butter”…and maybe it’s time for a Newbeats Comeback!! And if THEY can…how ’bout our ol’ Yanks…?!?

16. Kristen says:

Videos from Spring Training and the promise of baseball on TV this weekend, it’s all very exciting! They were showing highlights from the Yankees press conference and others on MLB’s Hot Stove last night and it’s great to see live interviews that have nothing to do with trades and acquisitions again. I’m surprised the media keeps teasing A-Rod about the popcorn thing. I thought it was really cute, one of those silly, fun things that any couple might do, but hardly worth still teasing him about.

17. Nadine says:

Thanks Amanda!! So happy to see this but also so envious – lol! And it seems to be so nice and sunny in Tampa, that makes me envious as well. We had 14°F this morning and are supposed to have 7°F tomorrow. I’m freezing here! Enough already!
    I really like A-Rods new attitude. It seems like he’s more relaxed and not too serious about things (I mean other than Baseball). Maybe it’s because he’s back to 100% and really happy. That always influences the mood. Hope he can keep it up. And in my opinion it will be easier for him to step up and he said that is what he wants.

HAHA, Melissa. Love your poetry! “Hank is a crank” is a great line but the class/ass rhyme is pretty good too.

Thanks for filling me in, Dave. I do remember “Bread and Butter” and will now be singing that the rest of the day!

The popcorn thing ran its course after the first day, Kristen, but when it comes to A-Rod this stuff hangs around forever. Insane.

I feel good about A-Rod’s attitude too, Nadine. I still remember those early press conferences when he was so stiff and uncomfortable. Much better now.

19. Amanda says:

Jane, Thanks for posting the video! I am taking your advice and will try to get involved in the conversations more!

Thank you to everyone who watched the video and commented about it! I am not a professional videographer but I have fun trying to capture the experience as best as possible for everyone! Steinbrenner Field has 5 fields that are utilized during Spring Training so it’s impossible to follow everyone around. I have my favorite players that I follow around but I also try to get video of other players who could be major contributors during the season.

I can’t make it to practice everyday but when I do go I always get video and make it a point to upload them ASAP. I also go to a few Tampa Yankees games throughout the season so I also get video of some of our young kids.

Yay, Amanda. Again, thanks so much for the video. As you can see, we all appreciated it. We all envy you the opportunity to go to the practices in Tampa. Keep the good stuff coming!

21. Dan says:

Thanks Amanda!! :D Oh that crazy Hank, he’s so jealous of Jeter it’s coming out of his nose! …but more his mouth. I liked his line also about he didn’t mean Jeter, he thinks the Yankees have more energy this year, “especially the players with big ears” Man, had to put a jab on Posada too. But who cares about baseball? The Knicks got Melo baby! So just like the Jets, the Knicks are the new Yankees too :P btw, I thought Jeter was building an island. Just a mansion? Boring :/

No, Jeter didn’t build an island, Dan. LOL. He built a house on an island in Tampa. I don’t follow the Knicks, sorry. I live in Lakers territory!

23. Bee Hylinski says:

Hi, Jane,

Like the new blog a lot. Much more professional looking than mlblogs.com. I’m still there but maybe I’ll follow your lead, though I don’t have the following you do. Could it be because I follow the A’s, not the Yankees? Anyway, keep up the good work!

Bee Hylinski
    Author: “Contract Year,” a baseball novel to be published soon.

Hi, Bee. Glad you stopped by and that you like my new surroundings. Hard to say what creates traffic on a blog, although the Yankees do have a passionate fan base. Do you comment on a lot of other sites? Usually the authors will return the favor. In any case, good luck with your novel!

25. Jane,

Today’s (2-23-11) NYTimes.com has an excellent article about how Ron Guidry pals around with Yogi during Yankee spring training seasons. Every long time Yankee fan will enjoy reading it.

Today is also the birthday of the great Elston Howard and a former Yankee left-fielder who’s last name was “White.”

I missed that article this morning, pinstripebirthdays, but I’ll go back and check it out. I’m glad to know that Yogi is feeling well and able to be at spring training. Happy Birthday, Ellie! And Roy White too. Wow.