Jeter Could Be A Politician When He Retires

February 20th, 2011 by Jane Heller

You know how politicians manage to say something without saying anything? Or, to put it another way, you know how they say just the right thing even when they’re backed into a corner? Look what Jeter told the media today when asked if he was worried about the Yankees’ starting rotation:

“I wouldn’t say worried is the right word. We just need other guys to step up. I think a lot of times when you have young guys coming up, all they need is an opportunity. Right now it looks like there’s going to be some opportunities. I wouldn’t say worried or concerned is the right way to put it, I’d say I’m more interested to see what’s going to happen.”

I mean that’s brilliant. He’s not worried or concerned; he’s interested. Right.

Well, maybe he’s being honest, and he’s a big fan of Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre. Who knows. I guess that’s where he and I differ. I am worried and concerned. Not as much as I was a few weeks ago though. Once I saw the Yankees show up in Tampa in their spanking new unis and big silly grins, I knew everything would be okay. Somehow. There’s just a confidence that comes with being a Yankee fan. Our rotation is shaky but we have such a great team otherwise. It’s easy to forget that over the long winter.

Speaking of which, there was snow and hail in my neck of the woods last night, plus a tornado and two earthquakes. Seriously. I’m wondering what’s on tap for tomorrow.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Jeter Could Be A Politician When He Retires”

Senator Jeter. I just LIKE the sound of that! And yes…how can we eternally hopeful fans feel otherwise, with the joyous promise of ST now upon us?? Or something like that. Opportunity…it’s not just knockin’, it’s beatin’ down the door! And let’s hope hope hope that the competition in camp is truly “interesting,” in the words of the junior senator from…?
    As for your weather. I keep wondering if the Mayans were onto something. We had 75 degrees here on Friday…a record…then 40 degrees Saturday, with gusts of wind up to 70MPH, back to 60-something in temp yesterday, and now SNOW is in the forecast for late tonite. Heard about some town north of Tulsa that was 31 BELOW ZERO the previous week, in a blizzard, and a week later the temp was 79 degrees. And now you have a rain of locusts, or frogs and newts, or lordknowswhatelse…out there in Paradise West!! I’m not sayin’…I’m just sayin’…ya know??

2. Jeff says:

Take shelter from that midwest-like weather. As for Jeet… yeah, he’s very good at that. Still uses a lot of cliches, but they all do.

I wonder if Jeter would run as the senator from NY or FL, Dave? He’d be more popular in NY, but his legal residence is probably FL. Oh, well. That’s for another year and, given his a-political nature I guess it’ll never happen either way. But he does have “the gift.” Your weather sounds as crazy as mine. Wow. I’m happy I’m not in Tulsa though. Their temp is just plain ridiculous. Btw, we not only have crazy weather here in my ‘hood; we have jungle animals. Yesterday a bobcat walked through my yard. Not unusual, but every time I see one – or a mountain lion or coyote – I kind of freak.

Lots of clitches, Jeff. He’s a master at using them. Sometimes I don’t know why the writers bother trying to dig stuff out of him, but he’s the Captain and must be talked to.

4. Sarah says:

Jeter is a true professional through and through. He always knows just what to say, especially to reassure us Yankee fans. And I mean, he’s right in a way. Sure, I would have much rather had Cliff Lee, a proven pitcher, throwing for us every few days.. but the reality is he chose the Phillies. So we’re left with some young guys from our farm. And we’re giving them the opportunity they deserve. It could be messy, but the kids could suprise us and really step up.

5. Paul says:

He really is gonna have his pick of careers to pursue after his career is over. He could truly be a politician; he could go into acting; or he could be the Yankees manager. And he’d be good at all of them.

6. Paul says:

I used the word career twice. Poorly. “after his current career” would’ve been better.
    Awful.

I hope you and Jeter are right, Sarah. What fun it would be if Nova fulfilled the promise he showed at the end of last season but with a greater ability to go more than 5-6 innings. Mitre? I’m not very hopeful unless he’s figured out how to recapture his sinker. I don’t think Girardi is thinking about the kids from the minors just yet, which leaves us with either Colon or Garcia to fill in.

You’re forgiven, Paul. Does anyone proof their comments anymore? I leave it to my mother to correct my grammar when she reads this blog!

8. Mike.BTB says:

Snow and hail I can deal with. The tornadoes and earthquakes…I’m not so sure. Urban grit and Mayor Bloomberg seems like a fair trade off. Jeter? Knowing how to say nothing is brilliant. It requires a lot of talking though. Can I curse here? Doh! I say if you can’t dazzle ‘em with brilliance; baffle ‘em with Bull$hette.

Yes, you can curse here, Mike. No MLBlogs censors, just She-Fan censors and I haven’t figured out what their limits are yet. Regarding the weather, luckily the bad stuff missed us, although we did have a bobcat walking around the lawn!

10. Jane,
    I could see him possibly doing what Ken Griffey Junior did a few years ago and be a special ambassador, then move into the diplomatic corp. Heck Minka would possibly love living in Paris or London for a tour.
    But that is a bit off right now unless Jeter’s move to CF is sooner than we think.
    Anyways, he is already living the politician’s lifestyle, saying the right verbage and even staying out of the camera lens more than certain people on the Yankees.
    Politics and sports do share the same intensity, the only problem is when you win as a politician you do not always get to spray champagne on everyone….plus you do not get a beautiful ring….yet.

I could definitely see him doing a Griffey or a Ripken and representing the sport all over the world, Renegade. Minka? Not so much. Her Hollywood career is just starting to take off. She’s not going anywhere.

12. Antonella says:

If only we’d let Jeter speak ALL THE TIME.. & keep Hank hidden in the vault.

13. Emma says:

Oooh Senador Jeter! I can picture that!
    I’ve been kitty sitting in Northridge and I could not believe it that I could see snow in the mountains from here but I don’t want to see any more rain.
    I go to Spring Training Saturday morning with two friends. I can’t wait!
    Emma

Ah, Hank. He could figure into tonight’s blog post, Antonella. I love when he pops off because it’s always so amusing.

Very exciting that you’re going to spring training this weekend, Emma! I’m envious.