Apparently, my darling Mariano hasn’t put in an appearance in Tampa yet (as of this writing), and the reason given was that his kids are sick with flu-like symptoms and he doesn’t want to leave them.
His boys are adorable, so I don’t blame him. I wonder if the oldest one can pitch and the Yankees can sign him the second he’s feeling better?
Anyhow, the my-kids-are-sick explanation sure does make Mo sound like an All-Star dad. But could it be an excuse rather than an explanation? For all we know, his kids are fine and he’s got other things to do before flying to spring training. For instance:
- He’s opening another restaurant.
- He’s shooting another modeling gig for Canali.
- He can’t face training camp without Andy Pettitte pitching.
- He can’t face training camp without Jorge Posada catching.
- He can’t face training camp without CC Sabathia eating Cap’n Crunch.
- He can’t face training camp with Rafael Soriano studying his every move like a scene from “All Above Eve.”
- He can’t face training camp with David Wells as an instructor (oh, the awful music).
- He can’t face training camp with beat writers asking him when he’ll retire.
I don’t know about you, but those would be reasons enough for me to stay home.