I Want Some Mo!

February 15th, 2011 by Jane Heller

(Photo: John Munson/The Star-Ledger)

Apparently, my darling Mariano hasn’t put in an appearance in Tampa yet (as of this writing), and the reason given was that his kids are sick with flu-like symptoms and he doesn’t want to leave them.

(Photo: Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

His boys are adorable, so I don’t blame him. I wonder if the oldest one can pitch and the Yankees can sign him the second he’s feeling better?

Anyhow, the my-kids-are-sick explanation sure does make Mo sound like an All-Star dad. But could it be an excuse rather than an explanation? For all we know, his kids are fine and he’s got other things to do before flying to spring training. For instance:

• He’s opening another restaurant.
  • He’s shooting another modeling gig for Canali.
  • He can’t face training camp without Andy Pettitte pitching.
  • He can’t face training camp without Jorge Posada catching.
  • He can’t face training camp without CC Sabathia eating Cap’n Crunch.
  • He can’t face training camp with Rafael Soriano studying his every move like a scene from “All Above Eve.”
  • He can’t face training camp with David Wells as an instructor (oh, the awful music).
  • He can’t face training camp with beat writers asking him when he’ll retire.

I don’t know about you, but those would be reasons enough for me to stay home.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “I Want Some Mo!”

1. YankeeCase says:

Whoa….! Nice new digs, Jane!

Yankee workouts have begone and I’m back from hibernation!! But with the lack of pickups for the starting rotation, maybe I should head back to that hole I’ve been in… The young-uns are really going to have to step up this year, huh? Good thing we’ve still go Mo and a solid bullpen. If he wants to stay home flipping burgers and taking care of the kids for a few more days, that’s cool. As long as he’s sharp from day one and can get that all-time saves record he rightfully deserves by the end of the year!

Cool to see you’ve got the old gang following you here!

Hi Jane, I’m back!

After the world series we got into a couple of life-consuming project here, then Christmas and kids home from college happened, then winter and excessive shoveling happened . . . well, you get the picture. Living among the heathen of the Red Sox nation my Yankee news is limited and I kind of take a break for a few months. But now opening day is just a few weeks away and I am very excited! I knew I had to reconnect with you and the other she-fans (and fans of she-fan) so here I am, catching up on the last few blogs. I am excited about your website and am looking forward to your Mainly Jane blog as well. Since I also love to read and write I am very interested to read your thoughts on those subjects.

As for Mo – does he really ever age? He always looks the same. It’s so good to see him again and hear all the Yankee gossip. How I’ve missed my boys!

3. robin says:

Jane,
    You had me at Andy Pettitte. I would completely understand. Take all the time you need Mo1

4. Dan says:

oh my god, you’re calling Mo a liar! That’s worse then my end of the world rant last post… Maybe he’s embarrassed he’s losing more hair and waiting for the Rogaine to kick in?

YankeeCase! You’re back! We were all wondering how you were doing, so it was good to see your name here when I popped in. And yes, the gang is all here most of the time, so you’re among old friends. Don’t go back in the hole because our rotation, while full of question marks, will be entertaining at least. And who knows? Nova could step up and be the star we need him to be. I’m sure Mo will shake off the rust and be his usual brilliant self.

And look who else is back – Audrey! Glad you found your way to the new site and that your hibernation is over. Sounds like you’ve had quite a busy winter. Yes, please do visit the Mainly Jane blog. I write about all sorts of subjects there, so maybe something will interest you. We’ve all missed our boys, but now they’re making their way to Tampa and it all begins again. In some ways it seems as if the season just ended.

LOL, Robin. Seriously, it must be strange for the players, especially the core guys, not to see Andy around. He was such a fixture and he and Mo made such a successful team. But Mo makes every pitcher look good!

He’s definitely losing some hair, Dan. I notice it more and more every year, which is why baseball caps were invented!

6. Kristen says:

If that’s the case, Soriano better fasten his seat belt because Mo’s got Bette Davis eyes!

Maybe Mo’s holding out until someone finally tells him how AJ got the black eye?
    Or he’s waiting for someone to play Enter Sandman?
    Or maybe it’s just a closer thing. Two days into Spring Training is a little early to call for the closer.

7. Melissa says:

Eddie! We’ve missed you, but I thought you’d said you were a football fan, so I figured you were concentrating on that.

Maybe Mo is being the closer at home. His wife is dealing with the kids being sick for days. Finally, she feels she cannot clean one more sheet or wipe one more fevered brow. Suddenly, she hears the sound of “Enter Sandman” and she hands the washcloth over to Mo.

8. cheshirecat9 says:

Hahahaha! I love the idea of Soriano being Eve to Mariano’s Margo. I can see it now, front row of the dug out every time Mo pitches, trying to make friends with all Mo’s friends, trying to hit on his wife, working on developing a devastating cutter…. sounds like the tabloids will have a good subject to write about this year!

9. Jeff says:

Even I get excited to see Mo, so I feel ya! Sure hope he has another 3-4 years left. And you’re right, he’s also a model citizen.

Kristen, your comment made me laugh out loud – a few times – so thanks for that. I love the idea that Mo is waiting for someone to play Enter Sandman.

Love your reference to Enter Sandman too, Melissa. I’m sure Mo’s wife is sick of dealing with the kids’ illness, but don’t they have “help?” The guy makes millions. Despite his humble demeanor, I bet they have a staff of 10!

Can’t you just see Soriano playing the Anne Baxter role, cheshirecat? He pretends to be in awe of Mo and so respectful, but behind the scenes he’s trying to undermine him and steal his closer role – and his wife! What a movie that would be.

Another 3-4 years, Jeff? I’ll be very happy with 2 really good, healthy years. Of course I don’t want to think of life beyond that. Going Mo-less would be hard to deal with.

11. Paul says:

What would they do if he said, “Yah, I’ll be there on April 1st.”?
    I mean, what?

They’d do nothing, Paul. But the fans would be worried and very, very antsy.

“Mo’ love…and mo’ joy…
    Than age or time could ever destroy…”
    To quote and paraphrase Smokey & The Miracles…we all can wait a little mo’ for Mo. For a Yanks guy- fan, it’s kinda like waiting for that impossibly gorgeous date to come sauntering down the stairs in her finest dress (now, I wouldn’t recall, but so I’ve been told). Worth every minute of anticipation. Well, at least it always HAS been…!
    Great to see those familiar names at the top of the blog postings today. Eddie & Audrey…welcome back, welcome back, welcome back…and ain’t it so much easier? No more waiting waiting waiting to get back on, or to post. Maybe that’s why I can wait so much mo’ for Mo…after a couple o’ years of waiting every day for JANE, so to speak…hey…waiting a bit mo’ for Mo is easy-SCHMEEZY!!

No more waiting, Dave. So much easier to post here, except for the funky words you guys have to type in. Supposedly, Mo isn’t in camp today either, so his kids must really be sick – or he must really be missing Andy!

15. Harold says:

Hi Jane,
    There is always excitement about the start of spring training – anticipation of what kind of season it will be, wondering if there is a “phenom” among the young hopefuls, hoping the “old guys” will have one more good year left and looking forward to another shot at the World Series. This is my 75th spring training watch and I’m hoping (but am not optimistic) that the Yankees will have a championship year.
    Harold

Hi, Harold. Spring training is always exciting with its air of hope and possibility. Your 75th one? Now that’s something to be proud of. I know you’re not optimistic this year, but as you point out there could be a phenom in our midst. Wouldn’t that be great? Time will tell….

17. Leo says:

Really nice to see that slowly but surely all the old gang is coming over here Jane. As for Mo, I wouldn’t doubt that his kids are really sick with the flu. I am still getting over my flu like symptons for the past couple weeks and it’s been terrible. Thankfully I have been slowly getting better with tons of over the counter stuff and finally got some prescription antibiotics. I have no doubt that whenever he finally is able to come, he will get enough work in and be his usual godly self for us during the season. We will surely need it along with the rest of the bullpen stepping up because for the first couple months with the questions marks at the back end of the rotation, it will likely be ugly.

It turns out that one of his sons has the flu, Leo, and that he’s flying to Tampa tomorrow. As you say, he’ll be his god-like self in no time. Sorry to hear about your bug though. No fun at all, especially after taking all those medications and having to end up with antibiotics. Feel better.

19. Antonella says:

I’ve been missing in action this week. LOL! You’re posting AFTER I go to bed [this can’t be good] lol.
    News around twitter are saying that Mo has arrived.. Shook a couple of hands & said he’s ready to work.. All is good in Yankeeville now. LOL!

Yes, Mo has finally arrived, Antonella! We can all relax now. Order has been restored!