Is There Any Chance That Clemens Didn’t Use ‘Roids?

February 11th, 2011 by Jane Heller

We all saw him on “60 Minutes” telling Mike Wallace that he was innocent. We all saw him in Washington, D.C. telling members of Congress that Pettitte “misremembered.” We all saw him at that weirdo press conference telling the media that Brian McNamee was a sniveling weasel. (I don’t doubt that one.) And, of course, we all saw his ‘roid-y behavior throughout the years, including the Piazza bat throwing incident.

Still, is it possible he’s been telling the truth and he didn’t use steroids/HGH?

I didn’t think so either until I read this ESPN story today.

Clemens and his lawyers want every document ever generated by this whole mess – from summaries in the Mitchell Report and communications between the House Committee members who questioned him to testimony from Gene Monahan and Laura Pettitte. I realize that his legacy is on the line and he’s desperate to do whatever it takes to clear his name – and that issuing subpoenas to everybody and their brother is part of any legal defense. But I can’t get over how hard he’s fighting this perjury case. He’s determined not to go quietly. The only one who continues to believe he’s innocent is that infamous truth teller, Jose Canseco. I always found Canseco’s steadfast support for The Rocket bizarre unless….Clemens really is innocent?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Is There Any Chance That Clemens Didn’t Use ‘Roids?”

1. Jane,
    First off…Got some great news for you….You are as psychic as Miss Cleo. Mark (out MLBlogs guru) just recalculated the Latest Leaders, and another AL East writer has taken the top spot. You called it….I hope you pointed to RF when you called it.
    On to Mr Clemens.
    It really doesn’t matter if he did or didn’t anymore. His credibility is made of Swiss cheese becuase of the inconsistencies for so long. Becuase of the question marks,he is not a sure thing in the first couple years of Hall of Fame eligibility.
    I actually think he might fall to the Veteran’s Committee to decide. That way he will get to voice of the players spoken loud and clear…. A admired his courage, fight and passion for the game, but I also question his mindset when he (supposibly) did what he did. I do not think the BBWAA will give him a FREE pass…They will make him sweat, and sweat.

Yup, I told you it would happen, Renegade. I’m very happy for you, because I know how much it means to you and how hard you’ve worked to make it happen. You are #1! Congrats! As for Clemens, I can’t see him getting into the HOF unless one of the other users gets in first – or unless the writers decide they’re going to give guys in the so-called steroids era a pass. Either way, I’m just amazed that he’s giving this fight everything he has when so many others have crawled off into the night.

3. Dan says:

Could be. Seeing as how everyone around him including Pettitte, his wife, his mail man, his gym buddies, friends at that party, and hey, maybe even his dog used steroids though…I’d think he probably did use them. :D

4. Catherine says:

I don’t know, to me, this just seems like a stall tactic on Clemens’ end. I think he is desperate to maintain the tiniest bit of credibility he has, and when this goes to trial, that miniscule little shard is going to go flying out the window.

I agree, but the “friends at the party” included Canseco, Dan, and he keeps saying Clemens didn’t use.

You’re probably right, Catherine. He’s hanging on for dear life though.

I suppose, Paul. My strongest evidence against him is Andy Pettitte. If Andy said he used, he used.

7. Jeff says:

Hmmm… I just thought his hard fight was smoke and mirrors… but I dunno. Maybe there is a chance… although a very, very slim chance (at this point in time, given what we “know”) that he is innocent. Will time tell? Guess we’ll see… oh great, more waiting. *Sigh*

More waiting, Jeff. Who knows how long the case will drag on? Look at Bonds. Didn’t they only now decide what charges they were actually bringing against him? Crazy.

9. Peter says:

Like others at this point I am not sure it matters, he is tarnished. I think the evidence is definitely against him, and unlike Bonds he doesn’t have the race card to play, which I saw recently being introduced in Bonds fight for innocence, just a different innocence, his is more I didn’t know I was doing it, where as with Clemens he is still I didn’t do it. Like you though I am more inclined to believe Andy than Jose, I guess as Jeff said more waiting.

10. Kristen says:

Andy Pettitte is certainly a credible witness but Jose Conseco has called everyone out in the past and seemingly has nothing to gain from supporting Clemens. I don’t know what to believe.

Yup, he’s tarnished, Peter. And yup, I’d believe Andy over Jose any day of the week.

That’s what makes this so puzzling, Kristen. Canseco has been right about everyone. The only thing I can think of is there’s some bribery going on. Canseco always says he needs money. Maybe Clemens in paying him hush money. On the other hand, that would be so easy to trace.

12. Dan says:

Really? I thought Canseco was the one who brought up the party that he did take it… It’s been awhile so maybe I misremember XD

No, Canseco has been his staunchest supporter – for some reason.

14. Tamar says:

I have always thought that Clemens has lied about his steroid use for so long and so virulently that even he believes he didn’t do it. Though the fact that Canseco, who has been fast to out every other user, backs him up has always struck me as odd. Still, Andy’s testimony seems to counteract that. In the end, it is all rather sad, I loved watching him pitch (in pinstripes). Now his reputation is shit.

Excellent point, Tamar. It could be that he’s lied to himself and to everyone else to the point where he actually believes he never used. I never liked Clemens until the 2007 season when I was following the team for my “She-Fan” book. I saw how much the other guys respected and looked up to him. Such a shame that he’s now the object of scorn.

16. David W. says:

I tend to think that he may not be guilty of either steroid use or perjury. While some baseball players definitely used steroids or HGH, the Mitchell report is a load of hearsay mostly from unreliable witnesses like Brian McNamee. Clemens voluntarily agreed to testify before Congress, and basically told Congress that the allegations about him in the Mitchell report were false. This is not what Congress wanted to hear, so they had the FBI investigate Clemens for perjury and other related offenses. Clemens’ prosecution is not based on any hard evidence. Basically, some Congressmen want him jailed he didn’t tell those windbags in Washington what they wanted to hear.

Well, that’s one way of looking at the case, David. I guess we’ll find out this summer if the prosecution does, indeed, have any hard evidence.