I know, I know. The Yankees offense could have made Proctor’s appearance unnecessary, but they must have sent their bats ahead to Tampa because the boys sure weren’t hitting in the second game of the doubleheader. More on that in a sec.
What a day/night of baseball. I’m exhausted and I feel like the biggest slug for sitting in front of the TV for hours, but I couldn’t tear myself away from either game.
In the opener, I was mesmerized by AJ. I kept waiting for him to screw up, but he pitched brilliantly and, as a result, notched his first “W” as a Yankee against the Sox. And Posada. Seriously. Raise your hand if you expected him to be the hitting star? Just a weird but wonderful win. I actually felt sorry for Carl Crawford after his botched play in left. He always seemed like a decent guy when he was with the Rays and yet he just hasn’t had a very good time as a Red Sock. And Wakefield looked like he was about to cry after he was pulled.
Lackey, on the other hand, looked like his usual grumpy self in Game 2. After Francona took him out, it was easy to read his lips. He needs a prescription for an antidepressant or something. Nova was coasting along for awhile, but got into trouble and should have been pulled earlier than he was – one of my many quibbles with Girardi. Other complaints include:
- WHY DIDN’T HE USE JETER OR A-ROD TO PINCH HIT INSTEAD OF STICKING WITH ROMINE, GOLSON, PENA, ETC. IN KEY SITUATIONS?
- DID HE NOT WANT TO WIN THE GAME?
- USING ONE OF HIS ALL-STARS TO PINCH HIT IN EXTRAS WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN ALL THAT TAXING FOR THEM.
- DID HE NOT GET THAT BEATING THE RED SOX WOULD HAVE FURTHER DIMMED THEIR CHANCES TO MAKE THE POSTSEASON?
- DID HE NOT WANT TO END THE GAME AND GET HIS PLAYERS ON THE FLIGHT TO TAMPA?
- AND WHY BRING IN THE AWFUL PROCTOR WHEN WE HAD AYALA AND THE KIDS IN THE PEN? (YES, JOE HAD BEEN EJECTED BY THEN, BUT STILL.)
I was mad at losing the second game (hence the all-caps above) even as I enjoyed the first three in the series this weekend. I thought we could and should have swept.
But so be it. Let’s just hope everyone stays healthy during the series in Tampa and whatever happens with the Wild Card is what it is.
Time to start thinking about next Friday’s Game 1 of the ALDS and whether I’ll be having “lucky food” again. When we won in 2009, I was counting on nightly pizza to do the trick and it worked. But I’d like to try something less artery clogging. Any suggestions?