Nothing, that’s what. From start to finish it was a great day. My highlights:
- My Extra Innings cable package giving me the YES Network even though the game was on ESPN too.
- Seeing Mussina throw out the first pitch to Jorge, who at least got to catch a little.
- Watching CC bend but never break – the mark of a true ace.
- Cheering for Russell Martin after he got the first hit of the game and his first as a Yankee.
- Cheering for Russell Martin after he stole third; we now have a catcher that can run.
- Cheering for Curtis Granderson’s amazing, Willie Mays-like catches, all of them.
- Cheering for Tex’s shot to right. No slow start that I can see.
- Cheering for Granderson’s shot off Phil Coke, a lefty.
- Cheering for A-Rod’s continued hot streak; that double sure looked like it was going out.
- Cheering for the trio of Joba/Soriano/Mo; if they pitch like that over the course of the season the Yankees will be formidable.
- Beating a great pitcher like Verlander.
- Winning the first game of the season.
And if all that wasn’t enough, I took the rest of the day off and went with Michael to the beach. It was in the ’80s here this afternoon – very odd since it’s been rainy and cold these last few months. We packed up our folding chairs and umbrellas and towels and joined the crowds who had the same idea. It felt like summer.
I hope everybody enjoyed their day as much as I enjoyed mine.